Black bars at top and bottom of footage after extraction/re-insertion...

Posted by Sean Sloan 
Black bars at top and bottom of footage after extraction/re-insertion...
January 11, 2007 03:24PM
Here's the sitch: car footage shot for web use came delivered on DVD. Producer can be heard making impolitic comments about someone at the company, obviously it needs to be removed.

Extracted DVD files using Mac the Ripper.

Turned them in to .mov's using Cinematize.

Brought in to FCP, all fine so far, the footage looks side to side, top to bottom in Viewer window BUT when I bring it into the timeline there are black bars top and bottom and with the Title Safe area indicator showing it all looks OK, just thin black lines showing top and bottom.

BUT when I bring it in to DVD Studio Pro 2 and use the Safe Action Area overlay, again, it seems to show that there will only be thin slivers of black at the top and bottom.

On export and burn, however, there are black bars all around. Any ideas? I realize this is all cheezy workaround crap but this is the situation that I'm faced with.
Re: Black bars at top and bottom of footage after extraction/re-insertion...
January 12, 2007 10:26AM
Sean, did you check the Size column in your asset list? It's possible that the video dimensions aren't exactly what you expect. At least you'll be able to see what DVDSP thinks they are.

bob rice
frameworx media
January 12, 2007 11:38PM
Bob, I using DVD Studio Pro 2 and I don't see andy Size column that refers to pixel dimensions in my Assets list. One thing I did notice, when I looked at the movie in Quicktime after converting it using Cinematize while one set of data said that the movie was 720 x 480 (or whatever the precise measurements of standard NTSC video are) there were ANOTHER set of numbers that said my movie was 720 x 540 and it DID look kind of square. Actually, this caused me to go BACK into Cinematize and change a pulldown that referred to Aspect Ratio from Automatic to Leave Unchanged, or something to that effect. On the second go round I seemed to get MORE video area but still not the standard sizing. Perhaps Cinematize in the culprit here, but still, I've used it multiple times with no problem whatsoever. Thanks for having taken the time to respond, Bob, I appreciate it. Sean
January 16, 2007 07:19AM
Sean, just scroll to the right in your assets list. The "size" column is there, along with rate, type, and a few others.

You may be right about Cinematize being the culprit. Good luck finding the solution.

Bob

bob rice
frameworx media
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics