Formatting... the device is not supported for the requested burn operation

Posted by Lola 
Formatting... the device is not supported for the requested burn operation
February 06, 2007 05:02AM
It´s the first time I use dvd studio pro 3, I´m done with my project , in the simulator it runs just fine, the compilling goes fine>Compile Completed Successfully, but the I start getting Warnings: and in the warnings appear a lot of file that I din´t include in the project, but they are un the same folder as the .mov that I used for the project, I hope some body can help me, I have to hand over the DVD today. This is what I keep getting:

Warning: The file ?Abschied dvd.mov? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc. (thats a mov that has to be included in the dvd)

Warning: The file ?(null)? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.

Warning: The file ?cover orhtho.tif? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc. (that is my backround image)

Warning: The directory ?/Volumes/My Book/final films/idvd zeiler.dvdproj? will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The file ?introDVD.mov? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The file ?kurz? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.
( I need that file , that a .mov that has to be included in the dvd)

Warning: The directory ?/Volumes/My Book/final films/MPEG? will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The directory ?/Volumes/My Book/final films/ortho Archived.dvdproj? will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The directory ?/Volumes/My Book/final films/ortho.dvdproj? will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The file ?(null)? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.
(I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The directory ?/Volumes/My Book/final films/OrthopaÃàdentag 2007.dspproj? will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

(I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The directory ?/Volumes/My Book/final films/Roxio Converted Items? will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The file ?rummelsberg lang? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc. (I need tha film)

Warning: The file ?rummelsberg lang.avi? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The directory ?/Volumes/My Book/final films/zeiler 1.dvdproj? will not be included in the final disc.(I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The file ?zeiler movie? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.(I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The file ?zeiler.mov? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc. (I don´t know why it is including this file I din´t include them in the project)

Warning: The file ?ORTHOPDENTAG_2007.layout? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.

Warning: The file ?VOB_DATA.LAY? found in the VIDEO_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.

Start formatting
Formatting as Standard DVD
Simulation mode is off
Lossless linking is on
Number of layers is 1
Doing side 1 of 1
Playable in region 1,2,3,4,5,6,8
Disc size is 12 cm
Disc has no copyright material.
Writing ISO directories
Writing UDF structures
Writing files
The device is not supported for the requested burn operation.

Thanks ,
Lola
DH
Re: Formatting... the device is not supported for the requested burn operation
February 06, 2007 05:07PM
Hi all.

Lola, I am not currently in front of my computer, but I will attempt to help you anyway.

First, I am not familiar with a blank disc size of 12 cm. I am familiar with disc sizes of 4.7 GB and 8.5 GB. To what size blank disc are you trying to burn your project? Perhaps this setting is the cause of your problems.

As far as the warnings are concerned, they are just that. The DVD specification, as well as the DVDSP manual, says that the only files that belong in the VIDEO_TS folder have the suffixes *.VOB, *.IFO, and *.BUP. No other files should be in this folder. I assume that DVDSP is telling you that, although files outside of these reside in the rendered VIDEO_TS folder on your hard disk, DVDSP will not include them in the VIDEO_TS folder that will be created on your blank disc.

I do find this a little strange, though. How did these files that do not end in the correct suffixes wind up in your VIDEO_TS folder on your hard disk?

I hope this information helps.

Take care.

-DH
February 08, 2007 12:56PM
TO Lola and DH. The files got there because DVDSP put them there. DVDSP is also smart enough to not include them in either the burned DVD or an image file (if you happen to build to the HD instead).

Lola, ignore everything in your log list except for the final three lines...

Writing files

This tells me that everything was successful up to the point where it's attempting to write the VOB files. This could result from a few different things. First, you disk might be a format that your drive doesn't support (e.g., using a +R disk in a -R only drive). Or the disk might be damaged or already used (or the drive thinks it was).

Something to try is to set the burn target to you hard drive instead of the burner. This will create a disk image that you can burn to the disk later using Disk Utility, Toast, or whatever you like. If that works, then it points to something related to you drive or disk. If it still fails, then you may have something going on within DVDSP that needs fixing.

Try these ideas, and let us know what happens.

bob rice
frameworx media
February 27, 2007 08:27AM
Hi bob,
thanks for answering my post.
Even though the external burn device is a multi format burner, that I bought here in Germany, I thought it might have or required some obscure pal European settings that I ignored, I checked and rechecked all the settings in FCP and DVDSP and the burner, to export the uncompressed mov, frames 25, pal, quality best, bitrates 4 to 7 variable and I tried with constant bitrates, tried everything from top, automatic and bottom field order, tried all options of encode mode, one pass, one pass VBR, and double pass VBR, in each trial everything matched, between the file exported from FCP and the settings in DVDSP, the encoded project had also the proper size to fit on the disk, but it didn?t work. I also tried it by making mpg2 file generated in compressor, but I kept getting the same notice in DVDSP. So then next step was check the burner, it is an external device, (since my PowerBook is already 3.5 years old and that aluminium series didn?t include an internal burner, so my only option for burning is an external burner?) I tried with DVD+R, then with DVD-R, brand1, brand 2, and brand 3, single layer, double layer. Nope!!!! Next I checked if the device was working properly. I started a project in toast and burned the movs there, the dvd came out just fine. Ok. Next possible solution was give up burning from DVDSP, that meant only build project in DVDSP and burn the _TS files in toast. The outcome of that attempt: the menus didn?t work properly even though they worked perfectly in the DVDSP simulator. Then I tried by making a disk image, an .img file, and tried to burn that from toast, but it didn?t work. So 7 hours to dead line, stucked in a German PC world, I took the .img and burned it in Nero. It worked!!! I?m not totally happy with the result, because Nero doesn?t have a real good encoding quality, but at least had the DVD. I?ve come to the conclusion that DVDSP 3 doesn?t burn on external device. Or maybe my DVDSP isn?t working properly. During this entire quest for salvation I found out that other users had encountered the same problem as I did when trying to burn their DVDSP projects on external devices. So if there is still hope to be able to burn from DVDSP using a external burner please let me know, because I don?t want to give up DVDSP, and at the moment I can?t afford another mac with internal burner. Greetings from the homeland of beer.

Lola
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics