Batch change subtitle start & end times

Posted by JBeal 
Batch change subtitle start & end times
March 17, 2007 05:12AM
I'm trying to figure out how to get all of my subtitles to start and end exactly 1 minute 43 seconds and 21 frames earlier. Here's the story:

After subtitles were made client wanted to remove a section of their video. So I went back to FCP and removed the offending section and then re-exported and encoded the video again. I worked out which subtitles corresponded to gthe section that I pulled out and removed them. Now all of my remaining subtitles form that point occur exactly 00:01:43:21 late. I tried selecting all of the late subtitles and sliding them earlier in the timeline but it will only let me slide one at a time. The problem is there are 367 subtitles that I need to adjust. I can open my .STL file in TextEdit and then using a timecode calculator I can subtract 00:01:43:21 from each start and end time by hand but this is taking an excruciatingly long time to do. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could just grab all the subtitles in the timeline and then slide them down at once rather than one at a time, or else how to do a batch change of all the times to subtract 1:43:21. The file is comma delimitted so I can open it in excel but I can't find any way to have excel do the matyh based on a number system of 30 and 60 rather than 100.

I hope my message is clear enough - the 3AM fuzzies are starting to set in.

Thanks for any help in advance.

jwb
Re: Batch change subtitle start & end times
March 19, 2007 03:07AM
How about opening that text file in something like Excel? You should be able to very quickly manipulate all start and end times using some simple formulae, and then re-export as a text file. You should be able to then import the result into DVDSP...
March 19, 2007 03:20AM
Thats kind of what I'm asking - how do I get Excel to do the math? I can't figure out how to get excel to do the math based on 30s and 60s rather than 100s. For example when I try and subtract 00:1:47:21 from 1:22:38:12 I get 1:20:90:91 rather than 1:20:50:21. Is there some type of plug in I can get for excel so that it understands timecode?
March 19, 2007 03:43AM
Another option would be to get a tool like 'Subtitler' (check version tracker) or Belle Nuit and do the job there, but in Excel there are several ways.

One possible way would be to convert everything to frames, so 1:47:21 would actually be 1800:1410:21 (assuming 30fps). Add these together to get 3231 frames to remove. You would then do the subtraction and split the timecode back out to mins and seconds again. This is fairly involved, but would work - you'd probably want to set up some additional columns to hold the calculations in.

In your case, 1:22:38:12 becomes 148752 frames. Subtract 3231 to leave 145521 frames. Now, divide this by 30 to get the number of seconds (4850.7), divide by 60 to get minutes (80.845), now remove the 1 hour, leaving 20.845 minutes. Look at the fraction - .845 of a minute (.845*60) is 50.7 seconds. So we now have .7 left over, which is .7 of a second in frames to find... .7*30 = 21.

Your new timecode should be 1:20:50:21, which is what you have above, so I guess my math is OK today!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics