Changing end jump of stories in DVDSP

Posted by lyswood 
Changing end jump of stories in DVDSP
October 01, 2007 08:38PM
Hello all -

Can you change the end jump of a story in DVDSP? I'm losing a tiny bit of sound at the end of my stories before they jump back to the menu. The video is there, but the last half-second or so of sound is not.

It's important because it's a tap dance choreography video that will be used to teach students each step in a routine - in some cases that last sound is necessary.

I marked each step in the routine using chapter markers in FCP, then exported it to DVDSP, where I created stories from those chapters. After each step, it jumps back to the menu, but while I see the foot making that last sound (half-second or less), I don't hear the sound before the jump.

I know the jumps are determined by the next chapter marker, but I really don't feel it should be quite so cut-off. There should be room - the video is there, why not the audio?

I'm wondering if I can just slide that end jump a few frames, or if I'm doomed to go back to the original in FCP and re-position all the markers (Lordy, I hope not!).

I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions? I'm using FCP Suite 2.

THANKS!!!
Re: Changing end jump of stories in DVDSP
October 08, 2007 08:35AM
If you set the end jump of a track to the end of that track, it should pay completely and then jump back to a menu.

Requires no markers to do this. Setting markers will always be within that master track and therefore, miss some total content.

So, set the end jump popup to Track, not some marker
October 08, 2007 10:29AM
Thanks for the response!

I actually need it to jump at the end of stories, not tracks. I don't want it to play through the whole track, then jump to the menu, but rather play to the end of the story, then jump back to the menu.

I gave up for now - tried adjusting the markers in FCP, etc, to no avail. It's probably not possible - as you said, setting the markers will always cause some loss of content. I have a better plan of how to shoot it next time, so this won't be a problem.

Thanks again!
October 09, 2007 09:34AM
lyswood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually need it to jump at the end of stories,
> not tracks. I don't want it to play through the
> whole track, then jump to the menu, but rather
> play to the end of the story, then jump back to
> the menu.

Yes, I have done that as well many times. Typically, when building a Chapters menu you would set the end jump of all the stories back to the appropriate chapter menu.

Personally, I have never had a problem with this as long as I set the markers as <Chapter> in the FCP Timeline first. Should work!
October 09, 2007 12:38PM
It does work great - it just clips the last half-second of audio. All my stories jump back to the appropriate chapter menu just fine, but the nature of the piece (a dance without pauses between steps...each step is one story), the markers have to be set as such that this audio clipping will always occur.

Next time I'll just shoot the dancer doing one step at a time with pad at the top and the end, and it'll work out great.

Right now, there's no room - if I slide the next chapter, the front of the following step gets cut off.

That probably makes no sense...it's hard to explain. =) Anyway, the chapters and story jumps - all of it works great, but I wish it wouldn't cut off my audio. I think I just have to plan better next time. Live and learn.

Thanks!!
October 12, 2007 02:03PM
One possible solution would be to put a second marker a second or 2 after the marker at the end- Stories can have more than 1 chapter, so say the 1st marker is named AA and the second is named BB. Put a third marker, AB, after BB.
Your story lists would then be:

Story 1: AA, BB
Story 2 BB, AB.

That way you have that short section (BB) in both stories. Make sense?
October 12, 2007 04:02PM
Ooh - interesting! Worth a shot...will do. Thanks!
October 15, 2007 03:05PM
or you could go back to the clips and add an extra second of footage, or fade it to black over a second so if it clips it clips the redundant stuff and if it doesn't it still looks neat
October 15, 2007 03:35PM
Also a great idea - I think there's room on the disk for another version of that asset - I might try this as well.

THANKS!!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics