Trouble getting clear image in DVD studio pro when converting from HDV to SD

Posted by Numu 
Trouble getting clear image in DVD studio pro when converting from HDV to SD
May 21, 2008 04:26PM
I have a show I did in HDV 1280 by 720 in final cut pro. When I use compressor to convert the files to MP2 the image looks fuzzy and not as sharp as it does on the captured HDV tape. What am i doing wrong in the settings in compressor. I have to convert the footage to SD and the loss in quality is quite a bit. Any suggestions please...
I use the settings DVD best quality 16.9 and the final product looks soft on big screen TV's
Re: Trouble getting clear image in DVD studio pro when converting from HDV to SD
May 21, 2008 05:26PM
SD DVD is soft on large screen TV...

1280x720 gets squished down to 720x480 for SD DVD...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Numu,

Does the footage look soft or blurry even when previewing in DVD Studio Pro? Or is the real issue that you don't like the look on a large screen TV?

Ben, if the issue is in the conversion, and NOT just that it looks bad on a TV, is there a better setting our of Compressor?

I remember I had issues with this kind of thing last year while cutting my feature. Converting HD to SD and having it look pixelated and blurry. Is this the same thing, Numu?

I'm hoping these images ring a bell cause I thought this is what I'd experienced back in December.

Just thinking out loud here.

g-
Re: Trouble getting clear image in DVD studio pro when converting from HDV to SD
May 21, 2008 06:23PM
Good point G

Numu is it low resolution due to blockiness or just softness?

Thinking out loud in these situations is fine!

Going slightly OT...

Have you investigated the new MPEG-2 Codec for compressor coming soon?

Heres the answers I got regarding it from Bill Hennassy over at Omni Cinemacraft (Thanks Bill!)

Cinema Craft Encoder MP is a plug-in developed for Compressor 3, Final Cut Studio 2. It uses the same High quality encoding engine from CCXtream. This encoder engine inside CCE-MP was used, until now, only for the Cinema Craft Xtream "on-line" high end system that set the bench mark quality Standard for Hollywood DVD titles.

CCE-MP will be available at the end of May 2008 and will be priced at $795.00
Please note, we will also offer a 5 user license; price yet to be determined.

CCE-MP will be available for purchase and can be ordered online from our website. Online ordering will be available at the end of May 2008 however the software will not be downloadable.

CCE-MP is strictly a Standard definition encoder. You will only be able to output MPEG-2 files. You can bring in HD content and down convert to standard definition. You will also be able to bring in standard definition content and encode it High Level (HL) using a high bitrate (up to 40,000kb) for Blu-ray disk.

You must have an Intel Mac to run CCE-MP.

For more detailed information about the CCE-MP product please refer to our website
[www.omni-cinemacraft.com]

Also, please see Brian Gary?s article posted on Ken Stone?s FCP website reviewing our CCE-MP Product.
[www.kenstone.net]

I for one am eagerly awaiting it so I provide another option for my clients instead of just the basic DVDSP or Compressor MPEG-2.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 21, 2008 06:34PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. It's just soft on big screen TV's frustrating when I have shot everything HDV so I can have better quality images.

Unfortunately I don't have thre intel Mac so I won't be able to get CCE-MP very frustrating!

Also on another not I am making a menu in DVD studio pro. I have brought my file in from final cut already converted to a MP@ at 16:9 but it will not allow me to make a button on the MP2 file to link to my tracks. Any suggestions? Ehen I bring it in as a normal DV NTSC 4:3 I can do it but the quality is awful...
May 21, 2008 06:51PM
You need to drop the movie file onto the menu background or choose the background in the inspector...

Gonna move this over to the DVDSP forums.

May 21, 2008 06:59PM
Thanks Ben. I know that works as long as the file is not already converted into and MP2. the minute I drop the converted files into the menu I can't make menu buttons on it.

Also another quick question. I know there are DVD templates in 16:9 available in HD but I can't find any while in SD. Am I looking in the wrong place or are the 16:9 Menu templates only available for SD?

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics