problem w/ outputting PAL as m2v

Posted by bkhowrey 
problem w/ outputting PAL as m2v
June 12, 2009 05:23PM
I have some PAL footage that I've composited some text onto using Motion. When I output to a mov file (using the animation codec), it looks fine. But, when I output it to a m2v in preparation to put it onto a DVD, the text looks all pixelated and the footage looks 'grainier'--in other words, like crap. It looks the same whether I compress it directly from Motion, or whether I compress the fine-looking mov file in compressor. I do not have this problem with any NTSC footage I've worked with. I'm actually interested in authoring the DVD as a PAL DVD w/o having to convert everything to NTSC just to get the thing done, so if anyone can think of anything I'm not taking into consideration, I'd love to know. Thanks!
Re: problem w/ outputting PAL as m2v
July 12, 2009 04:05PM
Just checking, but you are starting off with PAL footage, right? And running it at 25fps, then converting it with Compressor using a PAL setting?

There should be little visible difference to PAL compared to your NTSC if this is the case... other than the different dimensions.

Are you using text as text, or rasterizing it and using it as a graphic before you convert to MPEG?
Re: problem w/ outputting PAL as m2v
July 13, 2009 05:47PM
Yes to the first two questions--and, as a reminder, it looks fine (yes, as PAL) using the animation codec--it's just going to m2v that I have this problem. As to the third question, I'm not really 'doing' anything to the text--I don't know how Motion handles text--whether it 'automatically' rasterizes it or not. But, again, in my previous experience with NTSC footage in Motion, I don't do anything either--I just output it directly and it looks fine, as m2v or anything else.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics