Star Wars scrolling text

Posted by allan 
Star Wars scrolling text
May 22, 2005 06:53PM
Hi there,
I recently joined the forum and I need help trying to create an effect in Motion 1 for my project. I would like to know how a scrolling text in perspective, projecting towards the horizan, is created in the program. In short, I'm trying to get the Star Wars opening text sequence effect where the text scrolls into the horizan and fades out.
I haven't tried it in Motion 1 - don't think it can be done realistically in there. That is an After Effects 3D layer for sure (rotated forward in "X"winking smiley. I do it by typing the entire text piece on a single Illustrator layer and animating it in AE in a precomp with masks on the top & bottom. Also using a wide angle camera perspective and a couple of lights for a realistic "deep space" fade-out. I wrote a tutorial for it a long time ago - really simple.

- Joey
Re: Star Wars scrolling text
May 23, 2005 07:00AM
Not yet having Motion 2 but having seen the text demo at NAB, I would bet that you CAN do it! IN Motion 2 - That is!

The text demo at NAB was a few lines of text, twisted or distorted and rotating in space continually. Not much different that the text flat and rotated with a behavior or even key framing it.
The only thing about Motion's fake 3D is that there's no camera or lights. It's tough to get the natural depth of field movement as in After Effects.

- Joey
This is really simple to do in FCP. I've done it a couple of times.
Just use the Scrolling Text generator; set the fade in/out to it's highest setting; then use the Distort Tool to skew the corners into the horizon.
Don't forget, for a true "Star Wars" look, the text should be a yellowish color, not white.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics