John Foley's new graphic card?

Posted by Chi-Ho Lee 
Chi-Ho Lee
John Foley's new graphic card?
August 17, 2004 03:02PM
Hi John,

Last week you wrote that you ordered the Special Mac edition with the 256Vram which many people thinks would only run on a G5....

Have you received your card yet and what is the verdict?

Thanks,

CHL
CHL

The ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition does only work on a G5 8x AGP slot. It wouldn't even fit in the current 4x AGP slot of my Quicksilver 2002.

I have since talked with ATI and they verify that the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition which is advertised to work in 2x or 4x AGP slots, will work in my Quicksilver.

In addition we got a post here this morning from another Motion user who has the UNSpecial Edition in his Quicksilver 2002 and running Motion just fine.

So I have sent back the Special Edition card and I am waiting for the UNSpecial Edition card.

The ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition with 128 MB DDR seems to be the only choice for we older G4 users.
Chi-Ho Lee
Re: John Foley's new graphic card?
August 17, 2004 04:31PM
The only problem is that it doesn't have an ADC connection. That just plan sucks. I don't want to spend $100 to get a DVI and ACD connector.

-Bah Humbug
Like you, I think it is SUCKABLE but since Apple doesn't make video cards and there seems to be only ONE card that is qualified to work on a G4 Quicksilver, the down side is that it going to cost me $100 more to get to my Cinema Display back.

That is the cost of doing business with Apple and their ever changing requirements to utilize their toys.

But look at it like this, at least as of this moment, you will have a computer capable of running anything Apple throws at us. Next year there will be newer and faster systems and video cards to deal with, but right now, we are not excluded from running Motion. Apple has sent out a notice to their resellers saying that you can not run Motion on a Quicksilver G4! Yeah-Right!

BTW - If you don't want to spend the extral $100 just go out and buy a new 23" Apple Display and it will plug right into the DVI port of the new card!

I want a 30" and at least 3 usable PCI slots - why does Apple keep taking away PCI slots for professionals who need them??????
"The only problem is that it doesn't have an ADC connection. That just plan sucks. I don't want to spend $100 to get a DVI and ACD connector."

/agree

I think I'm going to wait until I get a G5 before I purchase Motion. Hopefully I'll find a way to practice with motion before that day happens.
i want to make new flash card and macro madia flash player

plz plz p lz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics