ati radeon 9800 XT compatibility

Posted by Michael Escher 
Hi all,

Is there a single ati radeon 9800 XT card for both Macs and Windows machines? I've been shopping around for more memory and an better video card for my G5 so I can run Motion better. I saw some of the ati radeon 9800 XT cards on Ebay but was unsure of the compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Mike
Re: ati radeon 9800 XT compatibility
September 18, 2004 12:07AM
Why would you need that card for a Windows machine? Motion does not run on a Windows machine.
I checked, the ebay with the keyword "9800 XT", none of them for Mac, they only run on windows PC.

Only the ati 9800 xt come with the Apple's "build on option" is OK.

The other choose, the retail version of ATI RADEON 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition 256MB (for G5 only).

Antonio Hui

I don't need it for a windows machine. I need it for a mac.

What is the best card out there for my G5 to help motion run, the ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Mac Special Edition 256MB?
I'd think the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL would be the best for Motion, right now. There was first-hand exposure to this card at the creativecow. Peter Wiggins was able to play with a G5 with this card installed at IBC. Here's the link:

[www.creativecow.net]

Here's a link to Apple's site where the card goes for $600:

[store.apple.com]
I checked this out before I bought my new G5.

Apple told me that if I wanted to install a card bought direct from ATI I would need to buy a $99.00 adaptor in order to install it.

I would verify this with Apple.

DR
the real question ?
October 05, 2004 03:17AM
is anybody using Motion with the actual G5 (2x2.5) "native" ATI Radeon 9600 XT (128 Mb) and HAPPY with it ?

or is the 9800 (256Mb) necessary ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics