do I need more than 9600 XT ?

Posted by francois 
do I need more than 9600 XT ?
October 10, 2004 10:59AM
about to order a G5

is anybody using Motion with the actual G5 (2x2.5) "native" ATI Radeon 9600 XT (128 Mb) and HAPPY with it ?

or is the 9800 (256Mb) necessary ?
If you are ordering it and not just upgrading, why not just go with the best card known at this time?

I have used a 2.0 GHz G5 with the 9600 and Motion and it doesn't appear to be any faster - more frames than my Quicksilver 2002 with the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition.
I've just finished 3 days of intensive playing/building in Motion. My 2G-G5 and 2G RAM is no where near efficient if you're building with more than three or four layers.

I currently have the 9600 card awaiting the NVidia GeForce 6800 which has been on order since July 25th.

When the new card arrives, I'll also ramp up the RAM to 4G.

My guess is that the 2.5-G5 even with the maximum 8G RAM still won't give real time effects if you have multiple layers.

That said, this piece of software is utterly awesome and very deep.
Re: do I need more than 9600 XT ?
October 12, 2004 11:18AM
Jamie

some G5 shipped with a 9600 graphic card (not Xt) with 64Mb !

is it your case ?
Oops, my mistake, Francois. I just assumed.

The graphics card currently in place is the GeForce FX 5200:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

I paid no attention at the time because I ordered the GeForce 6800. Because it will be available in three weeks, I just asked for the minimum graphics card as I will have to pay for two cards within one month. I thought I had the 9600.

Regardless, I still need more horsepower for Motion to play better. It's really easy to build several layers in Motion and even at 25% screen size and one/third resolution, it chunks down quite a bit. At one point, I thought I was going to crash.

Jamie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics