ATI Radeon X800 for Mac announced

Posted by Greg Montgomery 
[www.macworld.com]

I heard the NVidia Card made for the 30" cinema display won't support motion, I'm assuming since most of the cards that do are ATI, and since this is an ATI it just might.... any thoughts from the Peanut gallery or pros in the know?

Greg

-----------

Digital Life: ATI shows Radeon X800 on Power Mac G5

By Peter Cohen pcohen@maccentral.com

Graphics card and chip maker ATI Technologies Inc. is one of dozens of vendors exhibiting at the Digital Life expo happening in New York City this week, and the company has quietly unveiled a new Mac-compatible graphics card that can drive Apple's 30-inch Cinema Display. Although ATI has not formally announced the card, it is being shown on a Power Mac G5 equipped with both a 30-inch display and an older 23-inch Cinema Display. This is the first card ATI has produced that can drive the massive 30-inch display, which up to now has depended on Nvidia's GeForce 6800 Ultra card -- available only as a build-to-order option with Power Mac G5s.

Sources at ATI confirmed with MacCentral that the card is based on ATI's Radeon X800 graphics chip -- the company's current high-end graphics hardware that has, to this point, not been available on the Macintosh. The card is equipped 256MB of VRAM, and features one dual-link Digital Visual Interface (DVI) connection capable of driving the 30-inch Cinema Display. An Apple Display Connector (ADC) interface is also provided. The system was shown running an older 23-inch Cinema HD Display side-by-side with the 30-inch model.

Details remain scant on the card's planned availability or price, but a placard above the display in ATI's booth describe it as "Next generation technology for Apple's Power Mac G5," and confirm that it has native support for the 30-inch display. What's more, the card occupies a single slot -- Nvidia's GeForce 6800 Ultra card occupies two slots because of its large cooling assembly.

I think I did that right to make the image show up, if not try this direct link bellow, but this is a photo that was posted in a forum at www.macrumors.com and from what I can tell looks like Motion running on the 30 ich screen, if so that's just pretty darn cool. I don't have a copy yet, so I can't tell for sure, but my guess is it is Motion. Also, the screen next to it in the picture is an Apple 23" Cinema Display.

Greg

[webpages.charter.net]
Eddie Cook
Re: ATI Radeon X800 for Mac announced
October 15, 2004 05:20PM
"I heard the NVidia Card made for the 30" cinema display won't support motion"

I'm not sure where you heard that, but it's on the Apple.com/Motion Tech Specs as a supported card.
Right you are... look at that there it is.

I just remember at first there being some wonderment about that... and someone had said it didn't work... I know I looked months ago at the list, and didn't see it on the list, and even more crazily, I looked at it earlier before I posted and only noticed 2 Nvidia cards.... so my eyes are playing some crazy tricks on me... or they didn't add it to the list until after they started shipping either way.... it's still exciting to see another hi end card... one that will probably be available as a after market one, with such hi end spechs.

Greg
This is the technical review for X800 by Tom's Hardware (on PC)
[graphics.tomshardware.com]

Antonio Hui

ps. Someone done a test for 6800 vs X800 (on PC)
[www.hardware.fr]
(Hmm... I don't understand the language too but it is look very detail.)

Antonio Hui

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics