Motion is Useless for me - upset.

Posted by Tangier Clarke 
When I first saw Motion at NAB I was awestruck and couldn't wait to get it. I bought it when it first came out and haven't really been able to use it since. I've been on several message boards including Apple's for the following symptoms (to which no advice has given me successful results):

Using DVCPRO HD media

- audio will not stay in sync with picture
- playback is always choppy

I have been very eager to put this app to work, but it is so unreliable for me. Even exporting a quicktime yields the same sync/playback issues as working in the app.

I have tried switching monitors, using only one monitor, having nothing else open, etc.

Hopefully someone has come across new information because I can't get any thorough support on this app from Apple. It bothers me to spend my money on something and I can't even use it as intended. For now I just put it away until there's an update (which I hope there's no charge for - many many people seem to have the same issues)

My config:

Dual 2 GHz G5/ 2x 250 GB internal SATAs/ Apple 3.5 TB Xserve RAID/ 4GB RM/ ATI Radeon 9600 XT/ Apple 23" Cinema HD display/ Apple 17" Studio LCD Display/ ATI Radeon 9200 (not currently in use)
Re: Motion is Useless for me - upset.
November 04, 2004 04:56PM
I have the same setup as you.

Check that all your preferences and settings in Motion match what you are trying to do in FCP (frame rate, drop or non-drop, field dominance, etc).

That should fix your audio sync.

However, playback is always choppy for me as well once I layer my project deeply with effects on each layer.

Good luck.
"...now I just put it away until..."

Don't be up-sad, Motion is a good product especially on it's workflow. Please don't think it is an application could take over all others. Think it as a helper tools, like LifeType, a specialized tool for short segments.

me? I don't have the fastest machine that you have but still happy with it.

On other hand, texture memory buffer size of the graphic card is most most important element for running motion. It is better to upgrade it too.

Have a nice day,
Antonio Hui

Motion requires lots of RAM and a super fast video card. I'm still awaiting my NVidia GeForce 6800 which I hope will arrive before the next Ice Age.

I also understand that having two displays sucks away from RAM capacity.

I too have deeply layered projects. Try reducing your screen size to 25% and your resolution to 33%. You still won't get real time playback but the frame rate should be manageable.

Jamie
The resolution setting doesn't do anything in 1.0 - it's a bug.
Mark
Update to 1.0.1.

Don't work with audio in Motion Work with audio in FCP. Export your graphics using compressor as either uncompressed 10 Bit, Animation or Pixlet codecs. Animation and Pixlet support Alpha channels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics