Transfering markers with clips

Posted by Tom Jackson 
Transfering markers with clips
November 10, 2004 10:12AM
Hi,

When opening clips in Motion from FCP, how does one include markers set in FCP? I have tried every combination of settings and cannot seem to get the markers to show up in Motion.
Markers don't export to Motion I'm afraid.
Actually, markers set in FCP import into Motion just fine, as long as motion characteristics (scale, rotation, position), keyframes on motion parameters, blend modes and opacity.
Hi Mark,

I thought he meant markers, as in timeline or clip markers, not keyframes. I supposed you could set a keyframe on a clip frame and change that into a marker in Motion.

All the best,

Tom
Yes, timeline markers and clip markers from FCP will show up in Motion.
I have not been able to make this work properly. The only way I have been able to get markers into Motion is to export a whole sequence from the browser. It doesn't seem to accept sequence I/O as trim functions for exporting a sequence.

I have not been able to get either clip markers to export or sequence markers to export from within a sequence.

Perhaps you could give us details on your procedure. The only reference to this in the manual I can find is on p820, and it gives no procedure to execute the functionality it claims.

The export function also does weird things in FCP, creating sequence segments if the embed command is not used. Generally it looks like this portion of the code needs a good debugging.

All the best,

Tom
Methinks I spoke too soon - I thought I tested this when I was writing this chapter, but I don't cover the specific process for importing the markers (because the Motion PDF doesn't either) - just tried it and sure enough the markers are not coming through...true, setting in and out points in the timeline does not work, you have to select the individual clips. I'll check on this and see what I can find out.
Mark
Tom,

I am finding that the clip marker DOES in fact import into Motion just fine - in the Timeline you need to open up the layer and look at the object row - somehow I missed this before.

Mark
Mark,

Still can't seem to make it work. Can you please elaborate.

Sorry for my ignorance, Tom
Mark,

Just figured it out. You're right. It works just fine as long as the marker is within the clip and you open the object track in the layer.
Thanks again, Tom
This is strange. I am not getting this behavior.

[www.southcoasttv.com]

This is what I get. Notice that only one audio clip appears, though each of the clips has sync audio. The markers only appear on the audio portion of the first clip, though all of the clips have one or markers on the clips.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics