Dumb Motion question re: Alpha

Posted by Justin Barham 
Dumb Motion question re: Alpha
December 13, 2004 08:31PM
Hi all. I've barely touched Motion yet, and I know almost nothing about motion graphics etc, so bear with me here...

I did a quick motion project where two boxing gloves (PSD files) fly across the screen. When I went to export it and bring it into FCP I noticed that I didn't have an alpha channel. It had a black background, which wasn't what I expected. I need to incorporate this with other layers (text etc.) that are to be placed behind the gloves. Anyway, my question is, how do I create an alpha channel for this little clip? Or am I screwed and have to figure out a luma travel matte composite in FCP?

Thanks all.
I had a similar problem. I solved it by exporting (rendering) a self-contained QuickTime with animation codec. The animation codec supports alpha channel as does the Apple Pixlet Video codec.

Good Luck
Thanks Sean. I'll give that a shot ASAP.

Best,

- Justin
Didn't know Pixlet had an alpha. That's probably the only good thing about it. Other than that, it's not that hot. It's a very slow codec, and it produces more artifacts using more disc space than PhotoJPEG. Ouch.

Graeme
Easier still is to save your motion project as a file rather than export as a quicktime movie, and import that into FCP. Your alpha channels will be intact with no black background.

Have a Merry, Tom
"Easier still is to save your motion project as a file rather than export as a quicktime movie, and import that into FCP. Your alpha channels will be intact with no black background."

Ahh Ok now I get it. I'm still not used to the kind of intergration between apps that we have now. Although, the animation codec thing really saved me as I don't have access to a Motion-capable machine most of the time.

Thanks LAFCPUG peoples! Always there when I need you.

Very Best,

- Justin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics