faster without 2d monitor ?

Posted by francois 
faster without 2d monitor ?
December 18, 2004 04:22AM
has anybody noticed that its graphic card is doing better with the second monitor unpluged ?
Re: faster without 2d monitor ?
December 18, 2004 09:22AM
That's to be expected. Motion relies very heavily of the graphics card. If you put on a second second monitor, you just blew half of your VRAM and GPU on the second monitor that isn't helping Motion process effects.

All the best,

Tom
December 18, 2004 04:01PM
if you have an ATI card you can use the display utility included to disable the second monitor (if you just turn it off it still is kept active)

DAVE at Movies Rock in Toronto
December 19, 2004 05:10AM
David

yes I have an Ati Radeon 9800 but it came with the G5, so :

- I downloaded the display utility from the Ati web site but no access to any advanced function (like : " disable dual display "winking smiley because Apple is ONCE MORE limiting functions of embeded hardware.

- Ati doesn't provide firmware update for OEM graphic cards, (at least nothing is clear and I would'nt take any chances on that)

- Apple claims that 10.3.7 updates graphic drivers / so I took the plunge on my secondary booting volume and ... same crap

since apple keeps on treating its "valuable customers" like baby children I guess the only way is : reboot with 2d monitor unpluged ???
December 19, 2004 05:27AM
I'll make some test with just loging out.

very handy for exchanges with Fcp !
December 19, 2004 08:14AM
Someone wrote an enabler to made the "ATI Display" work with the OEM version, but not sure that is work or not, because I'm using the retail version of that card.

[www.versiontracker.com]

Antonio Hui

December 19, 2004 08:35AM
... however, I found that the updated version of "ATI Display" is finally support the OEM version of the ATI chip set officially. Yes, it is work. (at least with my iBook G4:-)

[www.atitech.com]

Antonio Hui

December 19, 2004 01:32PM
well thank you

BUT the ATI radeon enabler tells me that "

> my version of "ATI Display" (4.4.2) support full capacity for my card : therefore " I don't need it " and it won't install : but ... it's not true : no control : just stupid info

some web page mention I need a flash ROM ( oupssss...)

sometime apple acts like 1984 ...
December 19, 2004 05:48PM
If you also have a ATI 7000 PCI Graphics card installed you can use your 2nd monitor patched into it without the 9800 taking the memory hit. Motion like FCP needs the 2nd minitor.

Dave
Does setting the apple monitor prefs to mirror help?

Graeme
December 20, 2004 05:42AM
Dave

Motion needs the second monitor ? are you sure ?

Graeme
I'll try mirroring.

anyway, it's just a log out, back with one monitor , the whole 256 Mb disponible and... yes, more frames ps ...
December 21, 2004 08:02PM
No, but make working much less cramped.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics