How 2 create directional lines appearing?

Posted by chris cummings 
I'm trying to figure out how to create some basic motion graphics I can see myself using extensively in the future...I thought this would be relatively easy to create, but can't seem to figure it out...

I'm trying to create lines that appear from left to right, right to left, from center out, etc.

I created the "line" shape using a thin rectangle shape, but the "fade-in from" behaviors only seem to apply to text. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks!
~Chris
Chris,

Just use the record tool.

place the line on the right or left of the canvas.
move the play indicator to the spot you want it the end and place the line accordingly.
(ie. if you want the line to move from left to the center in 15 frames activate the record function place the line at the left move forward 15 frames and move the line to the center. play it back and it should move left to right for you. be care making changes with the record function still on!)

center out - do the same steps except stretch or increase the size.

Hopefully thats what you wanted.

Rich
Hi Rich,

OK, I think I'm with you...I just expand/stretch as needed using the record function to control the timing, correct?

If I'm trying to create a line that appears onscreen from left to right over, say 3 seconds, how would I begin the line...should I just start with a dot or point at the beginning (still creating this using a thin rectangle tool?), and then jump to the end using record and stretch the line out to its full end point, where I want it to end in the timeline?

I'm just trying to zero-in on how to make the beginning of the line (starting with a dot or point?) begin smoothly, and also to ensure that the line appears to expand uniformly over time...keyframing it at different points along the way, unless expressly calculated, would seem to make it appear jumpy, wouldn't it? As such, I'm assuming that just recording the beginning and end points would fix this...that's why I thought there might be a "fade in from left" equivalent with a dashboard to easily create this? Maybe the next version, eh? :-)

Anyway, hope this makes sense, and thanks again for your help!
~Chris
I haven't had time to check out the above as Motion is on my home system and I'm working such long hours.

I'm still wondering about my follow-up questions, but also came across another potential solution...I was on the Apple motion forum, and it seems that people there were also having problems just creating directional lines (more like the Indiana Jones "map" effect). When I was looking at the pre-made template in Motion, there is one where lines appear and form into various boxes.

I didn't have much time, but I opened up the layers, and it looks like they had imported some pencil lines from Photoshop, and used something called the "Ramp - Crop" effect? I'm doing this from memory, so I could be completely way off base.

Anyway, don't know if others out there are still struggling/wondering about this as well, so I'll try/experiment with all of the above when I get a chance and post back.

~C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics