So I'm looking to upgrade my Dual 867 G4 (Mirror Drive Door) so I can run Motion.

First I have to pick up a video Card, looking at the Radeon 9800 series. How much of a difference is there between the 128 Meg and 256? And do they make a 256 for non G5's?

As my budget is tight now, should I blow the bank on a video card, and skimp by on 756 of RAM for the next while. Or should I split the budget and get a lower end video card, and another GIG of RAM.

Or is it worth trying to even run Motion on a Dual 867 even if I do get a lot of RAM and an nice video card?

Thanks,

Greg
Re: Dual 867 upgrades for Motion?
June 27, 2005 12:29AM
you can't run the 256 MB card on the G4

get the 128 MB card and max your ram

with a 9800 128MB and maxed ram in your system it should be equal to or better then some G5's running stock video cards (my system flys with Motion dual 1.25 2GB ram 9800 128MB OS 10.4.1 Motion 2 (but Motion 1 was just as good))

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Thanks for the tips and advice.... any thoughts on where to pick up lot of RAM for a good price, that is hi quality. I know some RAM is a bit iffy and can cause more problems then not.

Greg
June 27, 2005 08:07AM
Greg,

[www.macsolutionsinc.com]

I recommend maxing it out with all the same chips. You can't beat Macsolutions for good RAM at a good price.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 27, 2005 10:29AM
I have used www.datamem.com for years and they have some of the best prices and are not a huge company that has no customer service.

Also, check buy.com for the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition video card. Their price has come down since I bought mine for my G4.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics