Dots IN, Dots OUT

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
Dots IN, Dots OUT
January 20, 2006 03:09AM
Hey, all

Here's something I've been trying to figure out--

I like using the Transitions category of Replicators, to be innovative in FCP. Using Dots IN and Dots OUT, and the various variations, has provided great fun. But, now I'm bored. Now, I want my dots to have outlines.

I tried using that Circles-To-Go transition, and I can't seem to figure out how to make that work.

Generally, I use the dots as an Image Mask, which I place on the incoming or outgoing video. So, I tried doing that with Circles-To-Go (which is dark blue on the outside of the dots, light blue on the inside). I used those as an image mask, which created a pretty effect, and then I tried duplicating the Circles-To-Go layer that I used for the Image Mask, and this time, making it visible, but using a color key to make the lighter blue center of the dots disappear. To my thinking, this ought to create the effect I am trying to achieve.

No luck. Motion kind of goes crazy, at this point. I get an opaque, black background to the duplicated Center-To-Go layer, which I have placed as the top-most layer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Re: Dots IN, Dots OUT
January 20, 2006 07:14PM
You need to change the source image for the replicator (the cell) from a dot to the outline you want. Create the outline with the shape tool (make a circle, turn on outline, turn off fill) and drag it onto the Replicator. Turn off the existing cell.
Mark
Re: Dots IN, Dots OUT
January 20, 2006 10:24PM
Wow. It worked. And, it looks really nice. I had to change the replicator to "additive" under cell controls, and then the blue outline circles disappear as the transition goes, so that you don't end up with a latticework over the video. Instead, the outlines get stacked under, with each new dot. If that makes any sense. Replicators are so cool.

Anyway, thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics