anamorphic problems

Posted by camshaft 
anamorphic problems
July 18, 2007 02:56PM
I have a 16x9 project in FCP with "squeezed" DV footage, timeline settings at DV preset 720x480 with anamorphic checkbox checked. All good here.

In Motion, settings are preset NTSC-DV, 720x480. Pixel Aspect Ratio, NTSC DI/DV Anamorphic.

Am using stills in the Motion project that have been converted in PhotoShop from 720x534 to 720x480.

The problem: importing into FCP, the Motion project does not fill out horizontally all the way to the edges, and the stills are distorted (squished vertically).

Have tried a variety of settings in Motion, and things are not right.

My workaround: scale the x setting in Motion -66%, and export project as QT movie with 16x9 checkbox checked in "advanced". Import into FCP and all is good.

However the workaround seems a bit convoluted. Am I missing something?

Let me know if I'm giving you all enough info.

Thanks

Cameron Young
Re: anamorphic problems
July 18, 2007 05:04PM
Easier fix: in FCP, locate the Motion clip in the Browser - scroll over to the Anamorphic column and add a checkmark.
July 18, 2007 05:21PM
Hey, Mark,

Thanks......I just now found that on a discussion over at Apple. That's a weird little caveat there. FCP doesn't recognize the file as anamorphic automatically.

Now if I could figure out how a still at 720x534 looks "correct" in a 720x480 anamorphic project, but, if it looks fine, I'm not messin with it!

Cameron Young
Anonymous User
August 06, 2007 05:17PM
Hi Guys.

Just wanted to say thanks mark, that solved my problem as well. However, if i do want to work in Motion in 16:9 before going into FCP, where do i find,

"Pixel Aspect Ratio, NTSC DI/DV Anamorphic"

and

"scale the x setting in Motion -66%, and export project as QT movie with 16x9 checkbox checked in "advanced".

Many thanks

michael / offshore
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics