color correction/filters and Motion templates

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
color correction/filters and Motion templates
November 05, 2007 11:40AM
Okay, here's a question that I know the obvious answer to, but I thought I'd spit it out there, see if there's a better solution.

So, now I've created a show with a lot of Motion templates, which have made my work much easier. But, I have to color correct the thing. In templates that use only one drop zone, it's easy to just color correct the rendered clip. But, in templates that have more than one drop zone, particularly ones that create transitions, I have to color correct each clips separately, I assume.

Complicating this is the fact that, from my experience, a clip dropped into a template is stripped of its filters. So, I will lose my color correction, whether I use an FCP corrector, or Color. Therefore, if I am not mistaken, I will have to export each corrected clip as its own Quicktime file, include enough head/tail to plug into the template, and then bring each clip back into the session to plug into the template.

Is that right?

Alternatively, I could send each templated clip to Motion as its own Motion session, and try to match the color of the clip in FCP by using Motion filters. But, that sounds difficult, since Motion doesn't read FCP filters, right? Like, I can't copy my FCP color correction into Motion, can I?

Thanks!

November 05, 2007 11:43AM
You've hit upon the real workflow issue with Motion projects and templates in FCP. The export/import thing is the way to go IMHO.
Re: color correction/filters and Motion templates
November 05, 2007 11:46AM
ARGH!

Apple, if anybody is listening, this would be a fantastic element to improve for the next release.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics