Bad Looking Chroma Key

Posted by shelleyrae 
Bad Looking Chroma Key
November 29, 2007 06:20PM
Hi,
I shot a talking head in front of a green screen and now can't pull a clean key. I get all the green out of the background except the edges of my talent are jagged and there is green spill in his hair. His hair is gray and where it is lighter gray the green is pretty noticeable.

When I try using the edge thinner he starts to look like an alien. I've tried different combos of the edge thinner and feathering to get rid of the jagged edges, but then the outline of my subject looks wavy when he moves. I've tried using the chroma keyer in the color correction, but actually got a better key with the green/blue screen filter in FC filters. I've also tried the Chroma Keyer in Motion but still have less than desirable results. I've tried putting a color smoother and spill suppressor and that doesn't help much.

I did a green screen before and it turned out beautiful. Not sure what's wrong here. The green screen was lit evenly when I shot it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Bad Looking Chroma Key
November 29, 2007 07:26PM
did you shoot DV? That generally comes out terrible.

What format did you use? What format are you editing in?
November 29, 2007 09:00PM
Try this:

Duplicate your foreground image. On the lower one, place Primatte RT. On the upper one, place your chroma key. The lower one will become a matte, which will help your chroma key to smoothly delineate the green. Play with the controls on Primatte along with the ones on your chroma key, until you have a good composite.

Also, dvGarage is a great piece of software for keying. Works much better than anything the Final Cut Studio provides.

December 02, 2007 12:04PM
I shot DV and am editing in Standard Def. I didn't realize that DV green screen is so tricky. Last year I painted my face green and put some red lipstick keyed my lips over another piece of DV footage and it turned out awesome. The key was flawless. So when we shot the talking head I didn't anticipate problems. I knew it was important to have even lighting which we had.

I'm going to try Benjamin's trick and see if that helps.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
January 15, 2008 01:56AM
I would strongly second the DVMatteBlast suggestion from Benjamin. Much better results for HDV and DV keying than the built-in keyers.

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics