No Image in Canvas

Posted by Eric Rogers 
No Image in Canvas
February 08, 2008 10:13AM
I'm using Motion 2 on a variety of computers ranging from a MacBook Pro, to iMacs to a 2X 3 GHZ Dual Core Intel with 4 GB RAM running 10.4.1.1. It works fine on all of the computers except the the dual core. I can play video in the preview utility window but when I drag it to the projects pane or directly into the canvas, the video can not be seen. I see only a white screen and the outline of the video box. The same is true of any particle emitters or other effects. My channels menu is selected for "Color". I've tried several different types of files. I've tried sending the video directly from FCP but I get the same results. I've tried re-loading Motion. I've downloaded the latest updates for Motion and Quicktime. What am I doing wrong?
Re: No Image in Canvas
February 10, 2008 06:53PM
Strange. It sounds like a textbook example of the view being set to Alpha but you say it isn't. What happens when you select the clip in the canvas and check it's media properties? Is it perhaps choosing an alpha for the clip when it shouldn't? Could you perhaps post some screen shots of the problem?

Andy
February 11, 2008 10:50AM
Andy, here's an image of what I'm getting: (You can click on it for a bigger image.)

And here's an image of what the media properties say:

When I made my first post I was thinking that I had never used Motion on this computer but later remembered that I have used it several times and it worked fine until a few days ago. Is there a way to trash Motion preferences the way you do with Final Cut when there's a problem?
February 11, 2008 02:15PM
Yes, I guess I was under the impression that you'd already done that. Trashing preferences seems to be the best option at this point.

Trashing Motion Preferences

Try this for trashing your preferences. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall, but hopefully the prefs reset will be enough.

Andy
February 11, 2008 04:18PM
Andy thanks for the help. Unfortunately neither trashing prefs nor reinstalling worked. I actually re-installed four different times. Whether I'm typing text, importing an image or video, all I get is a white background and a wire frame for the content. I'm not sure what to try next other than reinstalling the entire FC Studio again. If I get it figured out I'll post the solution for future reference.
February 12, 2008 11:08AM
I figured out the problem. I'm using Motion in a high school filmmaking class. The computer came with a 20 inch cinema display. Being that it's a high school program I'm always scrounging around for extra parts, so I also added an old 17 inch apple display and a really old 15 inch monitor from a Dell computer just to keep my FCP browser on. Well I noticed that when I dragged the Motion canvas to the Dell, suddenly I could see the video. So I rearranged the monitor cables, using them in different ports, restarted the computer and now it works on all of them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics