Text "write on"

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Text "write on"
April 01, 2008 11:27AM
I'm kind of a novice with Motion, and I have a simple effect I want to do, and I think it would be simple to do, but I can't figure it out.

I have the text "a storybook setting" that is in a script font (Carpenter, which is similar to Liorah), and I'd kind of like it to "write on" as if it were being written with a pen, but all I can figure out how to do is more of a "type on" which is more like a typewriter.

I would think this is a simple thing to do...and it doesn't have to be perfect either, but there's gotta be something better than the "type on" look.

Thanks!
Casey
www.unitedvideoinc.com
Re: Text "write on"
April 01, 2008 03:02PM
The way I can think of doing this off the top of my head is with the paint feature... you'll have to basically trace by hand the flow you want, and then paint can "write on". This would be easiest with a stylus. I don't think you can just make text automatically do this for you, sadly.
Hmm maybe I can figure this out and make a tutorial on it (unless there is one out there already).

I quick tried it, and it looks like it would be difficult but not impossible to get it to look good.
April 01, 2008 03:07PM
Yeah, I would have thought there would be an easy way to do this, since it's a fairly common effect. Maybe I can do something in LiveType, and do it letter by letter....

Casey
April 01, 2008 03:21PM
Ok- The trick for using the write on Paint is to go in and tweak (aka delete 2/3rds of) the points so you can smooth it out. I'm guessing you can keyframe the thickness or use a slanted brush to give it a bit more fluid motion as well.
April 01, 2008 03:23PM
Or - don't even use the paint stroke tool - just use the bezier tool (traditional pen tool) and set down only as many points as you need.
April 01, 2008 03:26PM
That's sounds a little beyond my beginners knowledge of Motion. I thought if it would be a simple behavior or something, I would do it, but for what this is for, a soft-edged wipe would be okay too.

I understand the principle of what you're suggesting though, I had a graphics person who did that with After Effects many years ago, and she did it that way. My customer doesn't have the budget for this if this is what it will take to get this effect.

Maybe next time.
April 02, 2008 01:41PM
Here's a tutorial I made on this-
[www.jamesnweber.com]
April 02, 2008 02:02PM
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Casey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics