Is motion the right tool? Formats for webstreaming. Realistic approach? (newbie questions)

Posted by michellepace 
Hi there,

I am a newbie here so please forgive the question if it is somewhat naive.

WHAT I NEED TO DO

I need to create a clip which will be viewed of the web streaming either in .mov format - and if I can find how to convert it - into flash format.

In this clip I will make use of very simple animated vector graphics (ie a couple of lines connected together changing color moving from once side of the screen to the other), text, screen recordings (.mov) and audio voice over. I need to make this quite quickly.

QUESTIONS

1. Could motion be the sole tool to make all of the above? (assuming I cut my .mov files in FCP exactly how I want them before hand)

2a. For web streaming and reading the description of what I will be making (simple animated objects, text, screen recordings), from your experience what frame rate would you suggest I use?

Should I ensure I make my screen recordings with the same rate too?

2b. Can I create my motion project a little bigger than I think I need, and later always have the option to export into something smaller? (maintaining aspect ratio for good results?)

2c. For audio, can I apply the same concept? Starting at 16 bit and then later if I want I can export to 8 bit to reduce streaming latency. Or should I start with 8 bit?

3. For my approach, I thought of using a template since my screen recordings will always be on the same place of the screen. And my vector art will always originate at the same place on the screen too... together with using Motion as the only tool to work with - does this approach sound realistic? Or perhaps even a more efficient approach? (I'm not looking to get really complicated... this is really just to get my idea visual and working on screen and somewhat pretty) smiling smiley

A big thank-you in advance to the person who replies... if I can get some answers on the above it really will help me out a lot in getting myself started.

cheers, Michelle
Re: Is motion the right tool? Formats for webstreaming. Realistic approach? (newbie questions)
June 22, 2008 05:37PM
michellepace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WHAT I NEED TO DO
>
> I need to create a clip which will be viewed of
> the web streaming either in .mov format - and if I
> can find how to convert it - into flash format.
>
> In this clip I will make use of very simple
> animated vector graphics (ie a couple of lines
> connected together changing color moving from once
> side of the screen to the other), text, screen
> recordings (.mov) and audio voice over. I need to
> make this quite quickly.

>
>
> QUESTIONS
>
> 1. Could motion be the sole tool to make all of
> the above? (assuming I cut my .mov files in FCP
> exactly how I want them before hand)
>[/i]
Motion is a compositing tool. if you have elements you need to composite, then it will do it. If After Effects is not what you need then Motion is the next best tool.

Why would you create a.mov file, first in FCP to accomplish this?

> 2a. For web streaming and reading the description
> of what I will be making (simple animated objects,
> text, screen recordings), from your experience
> what frame rate would you suggest I use?

>
Web graphics or movies will fare better with lower frame rates and smaller frame sizes than a standard DV format. (Reason? - fewer pixels to process) If viewing from a Mac or a PC with Quicktime present, then MPeg-4 part 10 (H.264) will get you the best size per frame with best quailty. If you need to embed it into Flash, then you will need Adobe Flash

> Should I ensure I make my screen recordings with
> the same rate too?
As i mentioned above, the fewer the frames and smaller frame size will cause the movie to load faster from a web site. Lot's to consider, depending in the user experience. (DSL or Cable?)

> 2b. Can I create my motion project a little bigger
> than I think I need, and later always have the
> option to export into something smaller?
> (maintaining aspect ratio for good results?)

You would use Compressor (Quicktime) to export the piece that you composited.

> 2c. For audio, can I apply the same concept?
> Starting at 16 bit and then later if I want I can
> export to 8 bit to reduce streaming latency.

In Compressor - Yes!

> 3. For my approach, I thought of using a template
> since my screen recordings will always be on the
> same place of the screen. And my vector art will
> always originate at the same place on the screen
> too... together with using Motion as the only tool
> to work with - does this approach sound realistic?
> Or perhaps even a more efficient approach? (I'm
> not looking to get really complicated... this is
> really just to get my idea visual and working on
> screen and somewhat pretty) :
)

I guess I really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish here?

> cheers, Michelle
As to #3-
Definitely look into making a Motion Template with a drop zone. If all you are changing is the video, and maybe some text, and everything else is the same, it should work well.

You'd make the template in motion, save it as a Motion template, then make the changes in Final Cut Pro.

Depending on the complexity, you may need several templates.

It's hard to know exactly without more details, but good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics