HD Monitoring Problems

Posted by ClayC 
HD Monitoring Problems
August 20, 2008 04:22AM
Currently working on a 1280x720 PAL HD project. Within Motion I used the Broadcast 1080i50 preset, and changed the dimensions to 1280x720 as the initial setup. I have a JVC 24" Flatscreen broadcast monitor attached via SDI (ATI 1900XT /Blackmagic HD Extreme). For color matching and general evalutation I activate the JVC via Preferences>Output. So far so good, all works fine and looks perfect.

Thing is, I need to export and then import into a DVCProHD 720p50 timeline in FCP. When I do that (using the lossless settings and a black solid background) the image degrades; I lose sharpness, colors shift, and get severe banding especially with solid objects and with lights applied. I've tried adding a modest ammount of noise to solve the banding issue, which helps to some extent, but it's purely trial and error process. What I see in Motion is pretty far from what I see in FCP.

I've also tried boosting the bit depth from 8 to 16 and 32 float. This seems to work best, but I then have problems at the higher bit depth with text and objects loosing their positions. At 32, things come to a crawl, even at draft res.

Question:

Is there a better workflow strategy as far as codecs and bit depth are concerned? That seems to be the core of the issue. How do I get what looks perfectly fine in Motion to do the same in FCP?

I realize that's kind of a tall order, but any help/tips/links would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Clay
Re: HD Monitoring Problems
August 20, 2008 10:05AM
Have you tried placing the Motion project itself directly in the FCP timeline, rather than export/import?
August 21, 2008 01:23AM
why would you choose a 1080i preset instead of just using a 720p preset?

i would check your comp setting in Motion to see if it is still set to interlaced.
August 21, 2008 03:47AM
Mark,

thanks muchly for your reply. I tried your suggestion in 8Bit and yes, it makes a huge difference. Colors and contrast are much better, type is very crisp like it should be. The banding is lessened, although still visible in the finer grays. I'm going to try boosting the bit depth again in hopes that will solve it.

>>why would you choose a 1080i preset instead of just using a 720p preset?<<

Because the 720p preset is NTSC only (29,97 fps). The frame rate isn't editable in the Project Properties dialog. Or is there a way to change the frame rate like in AE? Field dominance is set to none.

Best,
Clay
August 21, 2008 08:26AM
Just like FCP, you can't change the timecode base of an existing project (sequence).

But if you create a new project preset, you can - you do it in preferences.
August 22, 2008 03:35AM
>>But if you create a new project preset, you can - you do it in preferences.<<

Just like FCP. Of course. Duh (sorry, missed the obvious in the heat of the battle).

Best,
Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics