optical flow - how long to process?

Posted by kevin_roy 
optical flow - how long to process?
August 22, 2008 11:29AM
Just curious....I brought a 12 second clip into Motion and applied optical flow. It ran all night and when I checked it in the morning it still had 96 hours to go! Seems useless if it's going to take this long. The clip is of an actor just walking into frame.

I'm on a dual 2.5 G5, I'm using ProRes 422 HQ and plenty of HD space. Is something going wrong?
Re: optical flow - how long to process?
August 22, 2008 11:36AM
Is the entire clip 12 seconds or does it have handles? OF analyzes the entire clip, not just the in and out points. And it creates a huge cache file - 8MB per PIXEL per FRAME. With ProRes, it's going to be a massive file, perhaps 80GB or so - so you might be filling up your hard drive.
August 22, 2008 11:49AM
the actual clip in the FCP timeline is 12 seconds BUT this is with the in and out points derived from a longer clip in the bin.

when I bring it into Motion it's only 12 seconds. Is it still trying to process the whole length as it is in the bin? If it is, what if I made a subclip from the original clip? Would that shorten the processing time?

REVISION: Actually the clip in the timeline is a 12 second long subclip.
August 22, 2008 11:51AM
Yes, it's trying to process the entire source media. Making a subclip won't help. You need to export the 12-second clip from FCP, bring it back in, replace it, then send the new, shorter source media.
August 22, 2008 11:53AM
thank you. That's what I need to know!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics