REPLICATE ON PATH

Posted by J.Corbett 
REPLICATE ON PATH
September 08, 2008 11:39AM
i saw this lovely tutorial over on the Cow called more of the same thing part 1 that demonstrated making a row of stars follow a path with the repeater and some motion blur.

What is the motion equivalent to doing this?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: REPLICATE ON PATH
September 08, 2008 12:13PM
I need to create an altimeter so i need lines to go around an edge and numbers to go around also.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
September 08, 2008 12:31PM
With the Replicator, you have the option to replicate along a shape layer. So create a shape with the pen tool (it can be an open shape); replicate your chosen object; set the Replicator type to Shape and drag your shape layer into the well.
September 08, 2008 01:23PM
This does create the shape in a circle. however what i need is the shape to change geometry as it does.

i.e. if you have on an analog watch look at the lines that are in between the number. The line that tell you its 3:27pm rather than being rounded to 3:25pm.

Not tHe arm the lines.

""""
September 08, 2008 01:47PM
Sorry, I'm not getting you - you aren't limited to a circle, you can create any shape at all, including open paths - absolutely anything, then replicate along that shape.
Re: REPLICATE ON PATH (pic)
September 08, 2008 02:12PM
look at this.

I have all the parts except the lines.

""""
September 08, 2008 02:26PM
well you can make those lines in about a minute by creating one and then replicating it into a circle shape - did you try that?
September 08, 2008 04:23PM
I had to make 2 thin short rectangle in a layer ( both even horizontally).

Then i centered the anchor point and command C/V'ed then rotated each till i had it close enough.

They are not all even but i can live with it.

""""
September 10, 2008 10:56AM
OK... here is how I did it.

Make a rectangle this size of the smaller ticks. Using constant interpolation, set the scale to 150% on the 4th frame. On the 5th frame, set it back to 100%. Set "After last keyframe" to repeat. Clone the rectangle. (this is important).

Now, replicate the clone. Replicator settings:
Shape: Circle
Arrangement: outline
Align Angle
PLay frames unchecked
Source Start Frame: 1
Source frame offset: 1

And you should have it.
Source file: [drop.io]

September 10, 2008 01:09PM
Interesting, creative approach. I would have created two replicators: one with a small rectangle for the smaller ticks, and one with a larger rectangle for the larger ticks. The larger ticks would sit on top of the smaller ticks.
September 10, 2008 02:06PM
Mark- Hmm. That probably would be easier.

And J.- I was thinking you wanted to do a clock, not an altimeter. You'll need to do adjust the # of points accordingly.

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
September 10, 2008 02:55PM
WOW, my result was not were close to yours. I was gonna be working on those lines another hr or so to get them strait.

click below the link below the pic to see animation.

ANIMATION

""""
September 10, 2008 03:05PM
i will. and thanks extra.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics