Question about running two monitors off an ATI 3870?

Posted by Russ Blaise 
Question about running two monitors off an ATI 3870?
February 06, 2009 06:08PM
If I connect two monitors to the one ATI 3870, will it cut my video ram in half, 512MB to 256MB for each monitor? And will that hurt my performance working in Motion?
Re: Question about running two monitors off an ATI 3870?
February 06, 2009 06:16PM
This is not the place for this question. You should submit a Tech Support ticket with AMD and get the answers directly from the people that developed the card:

[support.ati.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 07, 2009 11:09AM
Rather harsh response. Yes, running two monitors will cut your RAM in half - and yes, it will affect Motion's performance. This is true no matter what card you have.
February 07, 2009 11:19AM
Thanks, Mark... I figured as much. I just wanted to make sure just incase there was something different about that card.
February 07, 2009 12:51PM
"Harsh"?? Wow...I don't think so mark...sorry if it sounded that way. Words are a cold medium and did not mean to be "harsh". I simply did not have the answer and referred the OP to the website that handles that exact card. Sorry if that was not helpful...but personally if it were me, I would want to get these facts from the horse's mouth (manufacturer) and not an end user.

February 07, 2009 01:51PM
"I would want to get these facts from the horse's mouth (manufacturer) and not an end user"

I the past I found sometimes the end user knows more than the tech support person answering your question. ViewSonic being one of those. ATI in the past wasn't so good when I had a problem with one of their cards. The Apple store in the past was pretty bad also. When I was buying the 1st generation Mac Pro, I ended up telling them things about the computer... It all comes down to our past experiences in what we thing about a manufacturers tech support ;-)
February 07, 2009 02:25PM

It all comes down to our past experiences in what we thing about a manufacturers tech support ;-)

Hey Russ,

That's what I was basing my suggestion on...my own past experiences. If I needed Kona card help, I would get a much more detailed accurate answer from Aja Tech Support directly than a forum. If I needed Nvidia video card help, I go to the Nvidia Tech Support team. I have always gotten direct resolutions to my questions based on manufacturer specs...which is why I made that suggestion.

FWIW, I never post anything that isn't based on my own experiences or I will state that it is my "opinion" in the thread smiling smiley

February 07, 2009 05:00PM
Hi Joey,

And yes, I would agree with you in most cases. I found that some of those bigger hardware and software companies hire people to do tech support, read the answers off a script. They really don't know the answer off the top of their head. At least that's what it seems like. Companies like Aja and CalDigit and even OWC, really depend on giving the best tech support that can be given to get their products into your hands. Both sides win!

I made it a habit to ask a question in an end user forum first, and if I can't get an answer, then go to the manufacturers tech support smiling smiley
February 07, 2009 09:43PM
Fair enough, Russ thumbs down

Looks like mark gave you what you need so good luck!

February 09, 2009 08:54AM
Sorry to misinterpret, Joey!!!
February 09, 2009 10:11AM
No worries, mark smiling smiley smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics