good audio gone bad

Posted by Wil Blackwell 
good audio gone bad
November 15, 2005 05:06PM
Has anyone experienced digital noise (pops/clicks) in audio recorded using STP that wasn't heard at the time of recording?

I just recorded a VO track from our booth (thru Mackie Onyx 1220 Firewire to Mac G4 Dual 800- Tiger 10.4.2, Soundtrack 1.0.1; 16bit, 48k), just like I do a few times a week- nothing unusual, nothing recently added or upgraded or removed. Have done similar session with STP a hundred times.

As usual, everything sounded great- client happy- say goodbye to VO after scan checking playback and then.... pops and clicks appear in one portion that were not there during the recording. By this, I mean they weren't noises the mic heard- they are digital garbage type noises.

The affected portion was roughly 10% of the session; 1 minute out of 10 minutes recorded narration. In some clips, it occurs throughout- in others in mysteriously starts and stops happening in mid-clip.

Anyway, I used Pop/Click repair and it did wonders, saved the day but....

I am now nervous though of future sessions. There were no errors, no hint of a problem. I have gone back to the original AIFF files and played thru QT- yes the pops and clicks are there, on the source and not using STP for playback.

Has anyone encountered mysterious pops/clicks- digital noise with STP and, if so, any advice. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics