Unable to form shortened clip from main root clip

Posted by caesar 
Unable to form shortened clip from main root clip
March 31, 2007 09:36PM
Working in FCP 5, I have exported some clips to the multitrack editor in STP to remove some background noise. When opening the clip in the waveform editor, a much larger sound clip is opened instead with the piece that I was working with somewhere in the middle. How come the edited clip that was taken from FCP doesn't open up on its own? Why is this massive original clip opened up instead? I have no control over the process and find it extremely frustrating to work within a small desired piece of a huge extened sound track that I don't even need. Is it taking it from the original capture source?? How can I fix this to work with just the small piece that I need? Any advice is greatly appreciated. GREATLY appreciated... before I return the software out of frustration.
-Caesar
Re: Unable to form shortened clip from main root clip
April 01, 2007 02:12PM
The way to just work on the edited clip is: send to>multi-track project, then in STP double click the clip to open in editor, which will then open in the waveform. From there you can do the repair work.

Once you're done with the mix, export, and drop into FCP timeline.

Cameron Young
April 01, 2007 03:56PM
Cameron,

I hate to be so stubborn, and I appreciate your responses to both my queries, yet I have attempted to do exactly as you suggested to no avail. Is it possible that my computer program is messed up? All that I have read in books and from what you have said sounds accurate and plausible, but on my computer it keeps on bringing up this gigantic track in the editor. Now, in the project window the clip is its true size. But when I double click it, it opens in the editor as an expanded clip. It's driving me nuts. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. And I apologize for creating such difficulties.
-Caesar
April 01, 2007 04:17PM
Caesar,

When you open in editor from multi-track project the clip show the in/outs by two markers above the waveform......when doing the work, drag your cursor along the waveform to highlight the area you wish to do the process.

Whatever you do to the waveform at this point will show up in the actions palette to the left of the waveform, much like a layers tab.

Hope this helps.

Cameron Young
April 02, 2007 10:50PM
Cameron,
That helps a lot. I do notice those two tabs/markers that indicate the original selection of the clip that I was interested in working on. I'll just highlight it, that's all. I didn't know if the computer was doing something wrong when it keep everything else as well. This should work. Thanks again for helping me.
-Caesar
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics