Recording from cassette deck

Posted by Paul C 
Recording from cassette deck
July 30, 2007 07:18PM
Hi,

I have a pro-level cassette deck hooked up to my miniDV deck, which has firewire out to my G5.

I want to record cassette stuff in Soundtrack Pro to digitize it. I can't seem to find a way in Soundtrack pro to record this audio coming in from the cassette deck via the miniDV deck. Is this doable, and what setting should I use?

(Currently I capture the audio in FCP using non-controllable device, then export as whatever type of audio file I need. Works Ok but it seems Soundtrack Pro should be able to do same thing.

Thanks for any tips,

Paul
Re: Recording from cassette deck
July 30, 2007 09:31PM
Depends on what you want to do with the sounds after they are brought into STP. If there are just another linear track then any sound-in analog to digital device will allow you to bring in 2 audio tracks to record.
If you want to use those sounds as STP loops then there is the loop utility that the sounds must pass through to be loops.

Not sure how conecting the cassette player through the MiniDV deck would digitize the sound before coming into STP, but it would seem if it can get the analog audio into FCP, that it should record into STP as well??

I would also try the line input from the Macintosh motherboard to digitize that material into STP.
July 31, 2007 08:27AM
I'm just looking to import the analogue tunes, save them as Mp3s or AIFFs, and store them on a CD for a client.

I'm sure I'm just a setting away -- it's just that in STP I hit Record and nothing happens, nothing seems to be coming in, unlike when I hit Capture Now in FCP.

Thanks -- I'll keep at it.

Paul
August 01, 2007 02:48PM
Hi,

You can do that in QT Pro but I don't think you can do it in STP (I tried). I got this for that purpose:
[www.sweetwater.com]

Works good but it took me a while to figure out how to capture at 48k.

Mitch
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics