Log and capture problem

Posted by Yosef 
Log and capture problem
November 06, 2005 07:38PM
Hi everyone,

I am working with a G4 500 Dual 1.5 RAM FCP 4.5 with 2 drives 250 gb @ for storage. a 3rd 40 gb hard drive dedicated for applications.

I always capture DV footge with my Canon GL1, However it is making problems (over due for servicing) so I got myself for the time being a Canon ZR300.
Now, when I try to Log and Capture I can control the camera etc. but I can not get a picture. All I have is a 'Preview disabled' window. All the settings seem to be fine. I even tried switching back to my OLD Canon GL1 and IT DID work (with problems of jumping of course, which is the reason why I am trying to use for now a diiferent camera).

Does anyone know something about this CanonZR300?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Log and capture problem
November 06, 2005 10:45PM
For "jumpy" picture, get a cleaning cassette and clean your camera heads if you must use it as a deck.

For camera control but no image, you might switch protocols to FireWire Basic.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Apply default Video Transition: Command-T.
Apply Default AUDIO Transition: Command-Option-T !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
November 07, 2005 04:43AM
I have always had problems with Canon cameras. although they are nice to shoot with I've had pixelation problems and firewire board problems. I always use a Sony DSR 11 or 45, capturing with a camera is tough on the camera itself.
November 07, 2005 05:40PM
Preview Disabled? Trash your prefs to restore.

The reason behind your Preview Disabled? Daisy chained FireWire devices usually. Avoid FireWire drives or get a separate PCI card to attach them to.

Always work with a video monitor connected to your FCP system (as it says in the manual), that way, you'll always be able to see your video, regardless if the L&C window is disabled or not.

Best,
Kevin Monahan
Author, "Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro"
Last Chance to Sign Up for My FCP FX Seminar, coming to LA this Weekend!
November 07, 2005 08:52PM
Thanks Loren, Phil and Kevin.

Loren, about 1) the "jumpiness" my camera already used many times a cleaning tape and by now it hardly helps. It realy has to be serviced, besides it also does not read the Time code properly and the tape stops when FF more than 2 or 3 minutes. 2) I did switch to FW basic and it did not make adifference.

Phil, I switched that little Canon ZR300 for a Sony this afternoon and everything worked fine - got a picture with no problems. (can't afford for now the Sony DSR 11. Got any ideas where I could get it, (maybe used)?

Kevin, I DO work with a external Panasonic monitor connected to FCP, but I was not able to capture either. Anyway as I said to Phil the Sony solved the problem.

Thanks all of you you are great.

Yosef
November 08, 2005 04:35AM
Hey Yosef, get a deal on a hire DSR 11 - when using DV that's what I do. You did the right thing losing the Canon for a Sony, FCP loves everything Sony and it is worth the effort to hire the equipment if you can't afford to buy it. Good luck ...Phil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics