importing stills in FCP

Posted by Katah 
importing stills in FCP
November 07, 2005 12:46PM
I have a lot if .jpeg images that I would like to use. In the book, they suggest to same them in Quick time and then import to FCP.

I tried just importing directly my .jpeg file into FCP and it seems to work well. they show up, I can put them in my sequence, etc...

will I have problems later? Will I have problems saving my full movie?

Thanks for your input,
from the island of Montreal, Katah
Anonymous User
Re: importing stills in FCP
November 07, 2005 12:54PM
You should probably read this

[www.lafcpug.org]

November 07, 2005 04:32PM
Hi.

Still in Photoshop before saving the files apply the filter Motion Blur.
90º Vertical with the amount 1 Pixel.
JPEG's like a lot of of files are built or develop in Computers where the native video is progressive. Television works with interlace. By applying the filter, the Blur will fill the video lines skipped on TV.
You may notice this with graphics that are on a TV screen with a flicker.
Yet there is a Flicker Filter in FCP but using Motion Blur in Photoshop will save you from wasting in renders.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
November 07, 2005 05:36PM
Also, you may need to down size them, as digital stills are often HUGE causing FCP to bog down in showing your RT FX.

Best,
Kevin Monahan
Author, "Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro"
Last Chance to Sign Up for My FCP FX Seminar, coming to LA this Weekend!
November 07, 2005 11:41PM
The method Rui discribed is the best for elements that "float" on transparency, like type, for instance. I find that it's even better if after applying it, you go to Edit > Fade, and fade the effect to about 70 per cent. By mixing the processed image with the previous state, you get to apply the filter in an even more subtle way than the filter's minimum intensity.

BUT... There's a free Photoshop action made by Adobe called "Deflickerator" (Just in case, actions are nothing more than a group of Photoshop commands grouped together as a single command that you can trigger. These actions can be shared and loaded in Photoshop's Actions palette).

It applies a sophisticated, adaptive approach to deflickering graphics. Adaptive means that it detects areas of the image where flicker might ocurr, and only "heals" those areas selectively. So you keep most of the resolution AND get rid of the flicker! The only drawback is that it doesn't work for elements like type or strokes, where flicker appears on the edges (because actually the flickering element in that case is the layer's edge and not its' content).

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. At the very least it's fun to watch it while it does its' thing smiling smiley

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics