general error message

Posted by christian 
general error message
November 08, 2005 02:04PM

Hi-
I am freaking out this afternoon. The "general error" message is popping up as it reached 80 plus percent while loading my sequence from the browser to the timeline. As it reaches the point where it should open, the message arrives.

At this point, I can view everything in the browser. I can even create a new sequence. Sadly, the one I need opened is giving this meaage. I have been working fine with it today. Suddenly this message.

Help. please advise.
Anonymous User
Re: general error message
November 08, 2005 02:45PM
General errors are usually cured by trashing your preferences. If that doesnt work go into your auto-save vault and open your movie from there

November 08, 2005 03:08PM
If that doesn't work, try copying everything in the project file to a brand-new project file.
November 08, 2005 03:15PM
I apologize for this one, but where exacly can I find the "Auto Save Vault"
I will try the copyind the project file now. By copy do you mean export, or copy in the copy and paste fashion.
November 08, 2005 03:41PM
Copying didn't do the trick for me.
Is there a way to the "Auto save vault"?
Even if I could open what I saved from yesterday I'd be quite happy.
This hasn't happened before. It's got me sketched out for sure.
The sequence that will not open is clearly there in the browser.
Will wait for further instruction.
Anonymous User
November 08, 2005 03:46PM
Have you trashed your preferences yet? Here is how

[www.lafcpug.org]

November 08, 2005 03:48PM
thanks for the link, I'll work on it and see what happens.
November 08, 2005 03:50PM
Check your System Settings. Look and see where your Autosave Vault is. Or press APPLE-F while in the Finder and type in Autosave Vault.
November 08, 2005 04:37PM
Guys,
All I can see right now is red. or some reason, I can't find Auto Save Vault anywhere. Can anyone walk me thru it? I would just like to get to the work from before this incident happened.
Anonymous User
November 08, 2005 05:05PM
It defaults to the [user]>Documents>Final Cut Pro Documents>Autosave Vault, but this is something that can be changed.

Easiest way is to search in the Finder for "Autosave Vault"

November 08, 2005 05:29PM
Trying to trash my preferences looks differently then what is described here:
[www.lafcpug.org]

I don't have this line on my HD: "com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist"

I do have "Final Cut Preferences". Should I drag this into the trash?

Still no luck on the finder search for "AutoSave Vault"

Uggh.
Greg Kozikowski
November 08, 2005 05:37PM

Stop, take a deep breath, and do an INFO on all your hard drives. Are *any* of them, including the System Drive approaching capacity, like 99% or so?

If you didn't change anything and "Suddenly it started acting wacky." that could cause it.

Koz
Anonymous User
November 08, 2005 05:40PM
Wow...if the Finder can't find the .plist or the Autosave (notice no intercap in Autosave) Vault, there might be something really wrong...

Not to say you're stoopid, 'cos believe me, I've overlooked some pretty obvious things in the past only to have someone looking over my shoulder catch something REALLY obvious...

But when you use the search function in Finder, you're looking on the system drive, yes? There are options to limit your search to specific drives, and if you're not looking at the system drive, it won't find it. Also, make sure you're spelling everything correctly.

I'd rather this were pilot error, 'cos if those files are missing, you may be left with having to reinstall from the original FCP install disks...they shouldn't go missing like that...

Double check your search parameters!!

November 08, 2005 05:59PM
Mac HD = 76.32 GB Cap/ I have 61.45 GB available
Lacie Drive= 232.86 GB Cap/ I have 145.94 available

I did find one autosave folder. It contained Apple Works text files. Letter, etc.

Standing by.
November 08, 2005 07:11PM
First off. Do you have all the drives connected that you had connected when last working on this project? Second. Have you done any software ugrades? Third, try this.
In Final cut pro type SHIFT Q, a system setting window will come up and at the bottom you will see a tab for autosave vault. Look and see where the folder is located. Then navigate there and open the last saved version.
November 08, 2005 07:28PM
Frank,
Everything is exactly the same. No upgrades. Also "shift Q" didn't open the window. Is there another way?
Anonymous User
November 08, 2005 07:30PM
Which version of the program are you using?

You seem to be having cascade failure!

November 08, 2005 07:39PM
Final cut pro drop down menu, top left of screen next to the apple, go down to system settings and it should open up.
November 08, 2005 07:58PM
I am using the first edition ever. I plan to upgrade after this project.
Anyway, what is a cascade failure.

Frank, I'll try the new instruction now
November 08, 2005 08:56PM
> I am using the first edition ever. I plan to upgrade after this project.

Jesus, this is information you should have given us from the get-go. Of course the short cuts and instructions don't work, because those were added in later editions.

You really need to get an FCP instructor. You're missing some very basic understandings.

Which OS are you running? What's your hardware?
November 08, 2005 09:00PM
this just isn't my day.
I appreciate everyone's help. I fear I'll have to restart if I can't figure this out. It would be good not to, that's for sure.

I would think there is a clear path to autosave. maybe the first edition has a different path.
November 08, 2005 09:10PM
If you're really running Final Cut Pro 1, then there's no such thing as System Settings. What do you have? OS9? Look on the left side. I believe it may be under the Apple menu, or the File menu. Look for Preferences or User Preferences. One of those will take you to the Scratch Disk settings.
Anonymous User
November 08, 2005 09:18PM
FCP 1.0 does not have an autosave vault. Christian, start over. And with all respect read the manual. You cannot tackle FCP without reading the manual. And please tell us this is a legit copy of FCP 1 and not downloaded from some friend or file-sharing service. If it was you are wasting our time!

November 08, 2005 09:30PM
It's totally a legit copy of the first edition.
I am just rather new to it.
November 08, 2005 09:36PM
Take a class. Or find an expert user and have him/her teach you. Back in 2000, even with two years of Adobe Premiere experience, and a job as an editing-lab monitor at the film school, I couldn't teach myself FCP properly without help from a guy who knew it. There's no shame; it's just not possible for any user to come up with a proper set of work habits on his/her own without guidance. There are too many things you have to just know.
November 09, 2005 09:44AM
I taught myself FCP using the book Final Cut Pro 3 and the art of filmaking. It's a big red book and blows the manuals out of the water for logic and sequential learning...Really..it is..Phil
November 09, 2005 04:14PM
Hey, I taught myself FCP with manuals and books and pieces of Sanskrit (from FCP 1 on up)!

1 - get a newer version of Final Cut - FCP 1 belongs in the Smithsonian....

2 - read the excellent tutorials (beginning and otherwise) on this web site - Ken Stone's Site - Creativecow....etc..
3 - if you aren't the book learn'n kind of guy - then absolutely take a class (or get a follow along DVD - also great ones to be found on this web sites store

As for Autosave Vault - priceless - can't tell you how many times that has saved the last remaining hairs on my noggin.

Good Luck - Andy
November 09, 2005 04:38PM
As far as cost goes, don't be daunted by the idea of having to upgrade stepwise from 1 to 5 - you only pay the standard upgrade price, no matter what you're starting with, as long as you can supply the original purchase serial number.

You don't speak the language of FCP very well yet, quite understandable. You'd be better off learning "the language" that everyone else is speaking now (version 4 and 5) so you can learn faster. Don't be dismayed, there is plenty you can learn on your own if you pay attention and take every step. Highly recommend doing the tutorials that come with FCP to get a great cross-section lesson on the tools that FCP has.

Scott

November 09, 2005 05:11PM
> As for Autosave Vault - priceless - can't tell you how many times that has
> saved the last remaining hairs on my noggin.

Here's a scary little detail that will probably make you guys laugh and brighten your day:

On my home editing station, I turn my Autosave function off.

Yes, because I'm annoyed with 20MB project files interrupting my session to save, breaking my creative train of thought. I do a backup every two to four hours manually. Yes, that means if the computer crashes in between those backups, I'm screwed.

Hasn't happened yet, though.

And if and when I get a faster computer than can do the Autosave without me noticing, I'm turning that sucker back on.
November 09, 2005 05:52PM
Derek,
No Auto-Save? Relying on a single digital file representing ALL of your work?

Dude.....

At least back up that project file daily to some space on the web. Or to one o' them USB thingies, no?

Best,
Kevin Monahan
Author, "Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro"
Last Chance to Sign Up for my FCP FX Seminar in LA THIS WEEKEND!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics