OT: Concerning legal product use

Posted by Mr. Malcolm 
OT: Concerning legal product use
November 13, 2005 03:19PM
I'm in the process of setting up the background for an interview with a cameraman. One of the props I was planning on placing in the background was, of course, a camera. I'm planning on putting an XL1 back there. I was just wandering if this is legal? The back ground will be a bit out of focus, but anyone that knows anything about cameras will still be able to identify it as an XL1. Is this in violation of some copyright/product law? I mean, it's not like I'm highlighting that particular camera as an advertisement or anything. Any knowledgeable sources on this issue?

Many thanks, Mr. Malcolm.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
Re: OT: Concerning legal product use
November 13, 2005 05:19PM
It's legal.
November 13, 2005 05:22PM
I wouldn't worry about Canon trying to sue you for showing its unmistakably looking XL1. Even when their product is not specifically mentioned, every business would welcome the chance to have them on screen.
I'd say, go ahead Mr. Malcolm.

====================================================================
"Prefiero pasar como ignorante cuando pregunto lo que ignoro, que pasar
como ignorante el resto de mi vida".
- A. Hauffen.
====================================================================
November 13, 2005 06:29PM
Mr. Malcom,

On what network will this be broadcast? Often times legality isn't the issue... it's business relations at the network. For example, if you're being sponsored by Pepsi, I doubt that they would take to kindly to seeing a Coke can in the background. Why should Pepsi pay when Coke is getting the exposure for free?

So, depending on the distribution for your program, this can either be a non event or a major pain, requiring blurring, repositioning or even reshooting.

Mark
November 13, 2005 07:22PM
Just don't show the Canon logo without clearance. The image of the product itself is fine. Otherwise props masters would jump off buildings -- imagine if every fork, knife, table, chair, lamp, wallpaper piece, cereal box etc. had to be cleared!
November 13, 2005 09:38PM
Well, went ahead and shot it. Turned out great. Thanks for the advice. I didn't showing the logo or anything.

Mark, I don't know what network it will show on yet. It's a documentary.

Once again, thank you. Your help is always highly valued.

"A man that does not reply to his own thread after receiving help truly sucketh."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics