Animation vs DV compression

Posted by bob h 
Animation vs DV compression
December 20, 2005 12:03PM
If the footage is going to be edited twice (occaisonally three times) to quick time movies is it really necessary to use animation compression instead of DV. The problem results because these QT moives must travel from drive to drive.

By the way note t Mike Apple is offering occaisonal free training seminars to educators and university lab techs on FCP5

Re: Animation vs DV compression
December 20, 2005 12:33PM
Not really - if you do lots of effects and grades (ie: rendering) to the edits then an uncompressed master might be a good idea, but simple DV cut edits and even putting it to DV tape and re-digitising over and over - its lossless.

Copying data (unless it gets corrupted) in DV files is lossless as far as the Video concerned.

What exactly were you told about editing with the DV codec vs Animation codec?

Anyway have a read of the LAFCPUG article:

[www.lafcpug.org]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 20, 2005 12:42PM
Animation is lossless (virtually Uncompressed in RGB Colorspace).

DV is NOT lossless. DV is 5:1 (HEAVILY) Compressed. If you are applying graphics & rendering, I would use Animation files.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 20, 2005 12:58PM
Yeah Joe - I think you missed my point...

I assumed from the post that Bob was already DV

DV cuts and DV to DV via firewire then there is no "generation loss" or lossless editing (the footage is already initially compressed 5:1 as you rightly point out and this way you wouldn't lose anything else)

If however Bob uses an uncompressed workflow then keeping the master sequences & copies uncompressed is a good idea.

So...

DV Workflow? Cut edits only? = DV backups, files, copies.

Uncompressed Workflow = Uncompressed backups, file, copies

DV with rendering of grades and effects? = make your decision on what else needs to be done with the footage.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics