Post grad filter?

Posted by Mark G. 
Post grad filter?
December 30, 2005 08:21AM
I am editing a project and the shooter failed to use a grad ND filter on a particular scene that is essential to the project. The top third of the scene needs to be darkened while leaving the bottom two thirds as is.

Is there such a thing as a post-production grad filter that can be purchased separately and not with a bundle?

Thanks as always and Happy New Year.
Re: Post grad filter?
December 30, 2005 09:41AM
Not sure about filters, but if you just need 1/3 of the screen with a filter, you can mask off the shot, feather the mask, put the masked copy of the shot above the clean version, and apply the filter to the top half. The amount of feathering determines how hard/soft the gradient would be.

Nattress Film Effects has a Day for Night filter with literally a horde of adjustable parameters: www.nattress.com
December 30, 2005 09:41AM
>>can be purchased separately and not with a bundle?<<

Don't know of any offhand. Although why not just buy a bundle because sooner or later you'll want the other stuff too and be able to greatly increase your color correction options. Try the DFT 55mm package (digitalfilmtools.com). Tremendous bang for your buck there as far as lighting tools are concerned, including the one you're looking for. You can demo the entire package before purchasing.

Otherwise, just Google for Final Cut Pro plugins and you might find a freebie gradient that does the trick.

Clay
December 30, 2005 09:55AM
Derek & Clay,

You both help make this forum the outstanding resourse that it is. Many thanks. I will do what Derek suggests and will also give a look at the DFT 55mm package that Clay recommends.

Happy New Years guys and thanks again.
December 30, 2005 06:59PM
Hi Mark,

Then there is this.

[www.kenstone.net]

--ken
December 30, 2005 10:00PM
Ken,

Many thanks for your most informative article. I will be using this method next week since it gives me greater control over the entire image.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics