Capture and play back/ dropped frames

Posted by Danny Sullivan 
Hey,

Ok.. Got a few problems that are really pissing me off. I haven't used FCP since FCP 1 and now I'm working on 4 and I'm a little lost. But the simpliest thing is proving to be the hardest thing for me to figure out. I'm working with a G4 over a Gb of RAM a Tb of storage, like I said FCP 4, capturing from a Canon ZR 100. I can capture everything seems to be working right, but I constantly get dropped frames and capture is choppy as hell as is playback. Anyone have a clue? Anyone who gives me the answer gets really good karma.

Danny
P.S.
January 05, 2006 07:53PM
P.S. I forgot to mention that I shot the footage on a Cannon XL1 in the frame mode which shoots at 30 fps... I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Re: Capture and play back/ dropped frames
January 05, 2006 08:41PM
Just use the standard DV NTSC Preset. But change the device control to FireWire Basic.

Keep your clips short, if you can. Long clips are SATAN with a Canon.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Capture and play back/ dropped frames
January 06, 2006 01:01AM
You can have serious datarate chop problems if you have two or more things connected to the machine's Firewire ports at the same time.

Our T-Byte of storage is on its own PCI card and we still capture to an internal drive first and then move the work over to the stack. No stutters ever. Used to drive us nuts.

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics