Trading in my mac

Posted by David Mears 
David Mears
Trading in my mac
January 06, 2006 11:23PM
Is there a place in the netherregions of outter cyberspace or within the metropolitan musuem of los angeles where I can trade my beasly Powermac in for a better one?

I know it has to exist somewhere..

I have a single 1.8 and want a dual..
Anonymous User
Re: Trading in my mac
January 07, 2006 02:38AM
Mac Solutions in Santa Monica maybe? Always best to sell it though online or through the recycler. Retailers will never give you much for your computer.

January 07, 2006 05:35AM
Best bet is e-bay...
Anonymous User
January 07, 2006 11:08AM
Just make sure you put in your ebay ad that the buyer pays shipping. My husband once sold a Perfoma 6400 on ebay for $40. Shipping cost $74, and he doesn't mark up his shipping!

Somebody bought it!

Post Edited (01-07-06 09:09)
January 07, 2006 11:46AM
LOL...deb, that hurts! OUCH!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 07, 2006 12:05PM
If you don't want to deal with shipping, could try Craig's List to keep it local within L.A.
Anonymous User
January 07, 2006 12:08PM
Oh, now that I re-read that, I can tell I chose my words poorly.

We didn't have to pay the shipping, the buyer did. I just always find it amusing that someone was willing to pay almost 2 times more for shipping the dang thing than they paid for it!

But, if you don't expressly put in the ebay ad that buyer pays shipping, it can come back to bite you in the patootie!

January 07, 2006 01:05PM
thanks for clearing that up deb. i was thinking - wow, debs husband must be insane!

i sold my original mac quadra 840av on ebay for $10 and it cost the buyer nearly$100 to ship it. i guess if someone wants something, they want it however they can get it???
January 07, 2006 03:57PM
Quadra 840 AV? (Drool)
Remember how badass those machines were in their time?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 07, 2006 04:45PM
yeah, that was a nice box in its day and still worked the day i sold it.
it was fun back then. i was employed by ernst and young at that time so i had my 4gig array shipped to my office. the IT lady came in all freaked out saying "you have more storage on that drive than the entire ernst and young global network - i felt sooooo cool!

here is the funniest thing, i paid (in 1996ish):

quadra840 - $3000
video vision studio - $4000
fwb hammer 4 gig array - $6000

total - $13,000

sold the whole kit (2004):
$10

and we think CARS DEPRECIATE BADLY - HA!
January 07, 2006 08:29PM
Mac Enthusiast in West L.A. will give a reasonable sum for your old machine, though their prices might not be best for purchasing a new one. They are in west l.a. on pico.
January 07, 2006 09:48PM
Or, on the other hand I still have every MAC computer I have ever purchased. Something about how fast the street price drops and it still works.

My 1994 - 7100-66AV is still in it's shipping box. It starts up slow, but still works today. I paid $3200.00 for that 66 MHz system and I would rather keep it in a box than sell it for $100.
January 08, 2006 12:07AM
Ebay is perty good --folks pay good money for macs there-
I just sold a Tig welder on Craigs List--2 days---Jay--
Anonymous User
January 08, 2006 10:02AM
It was a big decision for my husband to part with any of his Macs, but we added them up one day...

Through the years, there have been EIGHTEEN Macs residing with either one or both of us. We could've set up our own museum! He's kept the oldest, the SE 30, but the rest of them have been either spread out to the children or sold. As a matter of fact, one of them he got FROM a museum! It was a local broadcasting museum. Someone donated it because it had a "picture tube". They didn't know what to do with it, so they gave it to the Mac guy someone at the museum knew. We used it to keep inventory at one garage sale....

Anyway, as far as selling them, we look at it like this, they're going to people who want them and can use them. Anyone willing to pay $100 to ship a $10 computer REALLY WANTS that computer. It will have a more fruitful life working with someone who has a use for it than sitting in my basement collecting dust. So far out of that 18, 7 have been sold, 5 have been given away to my husband's kids, 4 are still in use in our home, and that leaves 2 in the basement packed away, the SE 30 and a different Performa. Of those 18, 7 we're given to us, 5 were bought second-hand, and 6 were bought retail. Of those 6 we bought from Apple, 3 are still in use. We each have a G4 laptop, I have a G5 desktop for my editing system, and I have a Blue & White G3 that used to be my editing system that I bought used from my editing mentor. Now I use it's dual monitors for BOOKKEEPING!

It was a huge decision to put my first Mac on the table at a garage sale. It was a second gen LC. It cost me $2500 in 1992, my entire student loan my senior year at college. I had a job, I had my tuition covered, I didn't actually NEED the $2500 for school, so I decided to put the money to good use. It has a 40 MB hard drive and 4 MB of RAM. I bumped that up from the original 2 MB. It went so fast to a kid who was so happy to get his first computer. Ya just can't beat that smile!

While I truly understand your attachment, John, I can't see storing 14 Macs in my basement. Our house just t'ain't that big! It also helps to be able to see the person who's buying it and knowing first hand that it will continue to be loved, and let to live out it's life doing what's it's meant to do.

January 08, 2006 04:54PM
My G3 400 is still rockin' with Tiger. Gnarley little surf machine. Runs FCP 3 like a champ.

Anyone wanna make an offer for my SCSI Barracudas? 36 GB of blinding speed storage. Still GOOD. ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics