Question about capturing PAL

Posted by Katey Bright 
Question about capturing PAL
January 29, 2006 06:55PM
I'm a grad student working on a documentary and the producer brought me a JVC BR-DV3000U DV Video Cassette Recorder/Deck. It has NTSC and PAL capabilities. Most of her miniDV tapes are NTSC but someone has sent her a PAL tape and she'd like to know if we can use this deck to capture the PAL tape into FCP (I'm working on version 5.0) and work with it.

I'm not sure if this will work or what to change my capture settings to.

Hopefully this isn't too vague or too stupid of a question. Thanks for your help!

-Katey
Re: Question about capturing PAL
January 29, 2006 07:06PM
While I don't know the deck, the process should be similar to this.

Find a switch or menu setting on the deck to change to PAL mode. Possibly a good idea to restart the machine after doing this.

Make a new project and set it up to capture DV PAL. Just the very basic set should do the job - this is as long as you are working in dv, of course.

Capture the PAL tape.

Go to Nattress' site at [www.nattress.com] and get his Standards Convertor for $100.

Convert your required PAL clips to NTSC.

Import these into your NTSC program and continue as normal.

Using this method keeps your PAL footage seperate from your NTSC footage, which can be useful if you've got a lot fo media.

OR - go to a post house and ge them to convert the PAL tape to NTSC for you, then capture as normal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics