Reformatting AVID FW drive for Mac?

Posted by chad haberstroh 
Reformatting AVID FW drive for Mac?
February 18, 2006 04:18PM
Was given a Seagate FW drive that was originally used on an Avid. Want to use it for a project on my Mac, but my Mac's not recognizing it. Thought I could reformat it but it doesn't see it at all, not in Disk Utility or System Profile.

Any ideas?
Re: Reformatting AVID FW drive for Mac?
February 18, 2006 05:29PM
appears it's only recognizing the drive via USB. Worthless...
February 18, 2006 07:05PM
Well, have you tried reformatting the drive using the USB port, then trying to mount it by FireWire? Is it possible that the FireWire port on the drive is just fried?
February 18, 2006 07:28PM
"Well, have you tried reformatting the drive using the USB port, then trying to mount it by FireWire?"

Of course. Doesn't mount. Tried two different systems and sets of cables, nothing. There are two FW ports and neither work.
Greg Kozikowski
February 18, 2006 07:39PM
Ummmm. Does it mount on a USB PC?

Is there a drive inside the enclosure? If you power it with nothing connected, can you hear a whine coming up and then the panel lights flicker briefly?

All drives--or enough of them--do that whether or not they have a computer connected. If it doesn't, you don't have a drive. You have a prop or stageweight.

Koz

February 18, 2006 08:34PM
Don't know Koz, I don't have a PC to test it. And yes it's a real drive that was partitioned 4 ways and included a bunch of scary Avid files.

Like I said, both macs mount USB, both do not mount Firewire...neither port.

I thought it was a formatting issue until it mounted USB. So I reformatted it to my OS while it was mounted USB and tried mounting FW, but nothing.

Now I'm guessing the FW ports are fried, but Avid Editor #1 claims all was well when he handed it back to the producer. Did I mention he was fired?

Thanks all.
Anonymous User
February 18, 2006 08:36PM
"Did I mention he was fired?"

Check for gum jammed in the ports...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics