Canopus ADVC-100 on Tiger with FCP5; problems since Tiger upgrade!

Posted by Lone Ranger 
Canopus ADVC-100 on Tiger with FCP5; problems since Tiger upgrade!
February 21, 2006 11:19AM
I upgraded to OS 10.4.4 recently from Panther. Since then FCP5 won't recognise my advc-100. The system recognises it in system profiler but fcp 5 won't. As a result, I've been forced to go back to OS 9 & use FCP 3 for capturing with the advc-100. I contacted Canopus support but they said they're not aware of any Tiger issue.

OSX QuickTime is 7.0.3 Is QT the issue here? I heard QT 7.0.4 has a bug with Java based apps. Any thoughts? Should I go back to QT 7.0.1 which is apparently a top 10 mac downld. QT 7.0.3 worked ok in Panther with FCP 5.

I forgot to mention, I did downld the pro support update for Tiger (dated about Oct last year.)

Will capturing & saving in QT 6 in OS 9 be any different to saving in QT 7 in OSX? I presume they're both lossless formats. Local format is PAL.

As a side comment, I seem to get consistent results capturing with fcp 3 whereas in Panther, despite apparent identical capture settings, I would occasionally get loss of capture resulting in a 2nd or 3rd capture file beginning with a loss of several seconds in between each one.

QuickSilver 733 mHz, 1.5 GB ram, 2 internal 120 GB drives partitioned into 7. Main capture partition is 93 GB (not same drive as OS!)

Post Edited (02-21-06 09:43)
First I heard of anything like this.

It's good to know that the programs in OS9 were a good deal more forgiving of ratty, broken, and badly timed operations than anything in OSX. As a result, people who updated to OSX found that their broken services were *really* broken now and didn't work any more.

I think you're Canopus has always been a problem and OS9 was covering it up.

Can you change the FireWire cable? Can you try a different FireWire port or try capturing on a different computer? If you have a damaged FireWire connector on the computer, you wouldn't be the first.

I brought my ADVC-100 up on our FCP4.5 and it worked just ducky.

Koz

Re: Canopus ADVC-100 on Tiger with FCP5; problems since Tiger upgrade!
February 21, 2006 12:39PM
Have you seen this about QT 7 and FW device control?

[docs.info.apple.com]

--ken
mine works just fine. have you tried resetting av devices?
See, that's why I went with the broken cable or something like that. I'm betting *nothing* works in that FireWire connection. Borrow you mom's camcorder and see if that works.

The Canopus is just a straight FireWire bit stream. There's nothing odd about it. Except in your case.

Koz

February 22, 2006 02:26AM
Hi Koz,
I just joined and saw your name in the posts and wanted to say hello.

Robert
February 22, 2006 02:59AM
Thanks for your responses, I'll get back to you about how it goes. I think Ken is on the ball.

I had previously tried different FW cables & outlets. FW works fine with external drives & works fine in OS 9. And did work fine in Panther. Perhaps not as reliably as in OS 9 but still it worked. lol Perhaps the QT 6 receipt is confusing it. Other than capturing, everything else works fine for FCP 5.
February 25, 2006 12:29AM
Ken was "on the Spot!" It now works again, many thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics