OT External HD

Posted by Sean 
OT External HD
March 17, 2006 11:49PM
Hey guys i have a 300 GB Seagate External HD i know it's possible to run my music off of it but does it work very well? the HD in my computer is nearly full and i was looking into running my music off my external HD? To free some space on the internal drive.

My next question is is it possible and if so how would i password protect the HD i don't mind if people see whats on it but i want to prevent deleting or moving of ANYTHING on the HD. Is that possible? if so how? Keep in mind i am using a windows based computer right now. Keep in mind that it will be used for music so "I" will need to be able to easily add and delete music through iTunes

And third maintenance? What is the best way to maintain and keep the HD working at it's best (keeping in mind im using windows).

Thanks for any help it is always much appreciated

Sean
Re: OT External HD
March 18, 2006 12:17AM
You should be able to run your music off your external hard drive. As far as security on that drive it's hard to say how safe you are running on a somewhat insecure OS.
March 18, 2006 12:49AM
Security wise i'm talking about a program or a feature that i'm unaware of to protect it from people that have physical access to my HD.

Thanks Dean

Sean
Anonymous User
March 18, 2006 08:40AM
Well, Sean, you are asking a Windows question in a roomful of known Mac Users. Even though more than a few probably use both systems, you have to expect a little ribbing.

The quick and easy way is to right click on the iTunes music folder and go into the properties and make the folder read-only. You'll have to change it back to read/write when you want to add to your library. This isn't password protecting, obviously, but you said you don't mind if other people can see the contents of the drive. Of course, that also means people who can see the drive can put stuff on the drive. I don't know if you can make the whole drive read-only. You might want to look into that. Like I said, you're in a room full of Mac users! I only deal with Windows sparingly, and it has been awhile.

I don't know if Windows allows you to have multiple types of access assigned like you can in OSX. You may be able to assign the administrator read/write access and no one else. Then you just have to log on as administrator when you want access, if you aren't usually logged in as admin.

Is this computer and drive on a network? You say you don't mind if people essentially look-but-don't-touch your media. How would they have access to the drive? Who does the network administration? Is this in an office or in a home situation? Are you trying to keep out your little brother, or a snoopy and possibly malicious co-worker?

March 18, 2006 11:41AM
I understand it's as mac forum but i have gotten really good help here in the past and i read this forum everyday so i'm confident in help i get here.

This would be protection from a brother and me in both cases to prevent accidential deletion or moving of important stuff.

It sounds like making it a read-only folder would be suitable i'll try that out.

Thanks

Sean
March 19, 2006 09:39PM
If it's Windows XP you should be able to set yourself up as Administrator and set that named USB or Firewire device as read/write protected or write only protected. You can set it as an account access or administrator. But I have a feeling you already know this
March 19, 2006 11:01PM
I did know that BUT i never thought about it Thanks Bill

Sean
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics