Importing images with alpha channels

Posted by MikeDerk 
Importing images with alpha channels
March 31, 2006 06:04PM
I'm having trouble importing images with alpha channels.

It works if I import a .psd file, but then it comes in as a sequence. If I import just a single image (on which I've made an alpha channel in Photoshop) it never seems to come in.

I'm eventually going to build up to a more complicated effect, but for now all I want to do is import a pre-drawn waft of smoke, and then have it rise. I could just as simply be importing a dot -- but I can't get it to show up without blocking out every layer underneath.

FCP 5.0.4
Photoshop CS2

Thanks,

Mike
Re: Importing images with alpha channels
March 31, 2006 06:14PM
Check to make sure the image is in RGB mode, with the Alpha Channel selected in the Channels tab.
Re: Importing images with alpha channels
March 31, 2006 07:23PM
I have a more detailed description of the issue:

In Photoshop, it is easy to use a vector mask to hide (or show) things. In the layers tab, this mask appears as a small thumbnail, and in the Channels tab this appears with the name "mask" and is italicized. (It is not an Alpha Channel, which is a mistake I was making.)

When trying to reproduce the same image in FCP, the vector mask needs to be an Alpha Channel (typically produced in the Channels tab by pushing "new layer".)

My problem: When I make an Alpha Channel, it doesn't actually function as a mask in PS, and when I make a vector mask in PS, it doesn't function as an Alpha Channel in FCP.

What is the best way to solve this problem? What is the best way to achieve the best workflow in both programs?

One method would be to do everything in PS as a mask and then turn it into an Alpha Channel (but I don't know the best way to do that.) I'm also not sure this is the best method overall, because switching back and forth wouldn't be that easy.

Any advice would be terrific,

Thanks,

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics