A problem found when running a diagnostic on a media drive.

Posted by Howie 
A problem found when running a diagnostic on a media drive.
April 10, 2006 05:39PM
I recently ran a TechTool Pro Version 3 diagnostic on my media / video hard drives. I received the following error under Volume Structure: "File Thread Mismatch (1,24296)".

I contacted TechTool and was told that "A file thread mismatch means there is corruption in the disk directories. There is inconsistency in where the file system thinks fragments of some files are located. This needs to either be repaired successfully or the volume reinitialized."

My question, should my media drives be fixed, or is this fragmenting normal for a media / video drive?

Re: A problem found when running a diagnostic on a media drive.
April 10, 2006 05:40PM
were you having trouble to begin with?
April 10, 2006 05:48PM
Wayne

No, I am not having problems with the three media drives. I did have to change my fourth media drive after it started grinding and locking up.

Thanks

Howie
April 10, 2006 07:21PM
TTPro version 3 is very old and depending on what version of the MacOS you are using, it may be inaccurate.

Start out first by running the Apple Disk First Aid. If it pases that, it is probably golden. If you have Disk Warrior, use it every mointh to rebuild disk directory structers as a maintenance aid.
April 10, 2006 07:23PM
Fragmenting can be normal, but the machine not knowing where parts of the fragments are is not. I would run the test again, and if it's still upset, move the media and reformat the bad drive, if I were you.
April 10, 2006 09:16PM
<<<I would run the test again, and if it's still upset, move the media and reformat the bad drive, if I were you.>>>

That's what I'd be doing. Take one giant step backward and look at the symptoms. The software package thinks something is wrong. Either the software package is right and you have a failing hard drive,or the package is wrong and you have a broken diagnostic tool.

Fix something, but do it from the position of having made safety backups of your data in case the coin flip doesn't go your way.

Koz

April 11, 2006 09:30PM
Hello All

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am using OS 9.2.2, TechTool Pro Version 3.0.3. I upgraded TechTool Pro to version 3.0.9 tonight. I received the same results when checking the drives. I also checked the drives using OS 9.2.2 Disk First Aid, with all drives passing these tests and appearing to be ok. I then scanned all the drives with OS X Tiger?s Disk Utility and once again the drives passed with no errors.

Here are the TechTool Pro diagnostic test results of all of my media drives:

Drive 1 - "File Thread Mismatch (1,24296)"
Drive 2 - "File Thread Mismatch (187,25784)"
Drive 3 - "File Thread Mismatch (1,24296)?
Drive 4 ? which is a brand new drive - "File Thread Mismatch (1,24968)?.

Why is TechTool finding problems with the drives and the Apple Diagnostics not?

Should I be getting these results with a new drive so soon? What could be causing this?

If I have to back-up my media drives to a FireWire Hard Drive what is the best method - drag and drop copying, the back-up software included with the FireWire Drive, or a cloning program?

If I use a cloning program and there is a problem with each drive wouldn?t I be cloning the problem?

Thanks

Howie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics