FILTERS TAB

Posted by wayne granzin 
FILTERS TAB
April 13, 2006 08:11PM
ok, here is a little "workflow" question.

is there any way that i can have a filters tab open at all times and just have it display the filters of the selected clip?

when i have a more feature rich filter open, i'll drag the tab off to my second monitor and open it the length of the monitor, so i can see more of the settings.

the very annoying issue is that when another clip is opened, that previous filter tab dissapears and i have to drag it out of the new clip...

anyone know of any way around this? if after effects can do this, it'd be a shame if FCP cant...
Re: FILTERS TAB
April 13, 2006 08:42PM
are you filtering browser clips?
before you edit to the timeline?

if you work in the timeline you can of course see what you're doing in the canvas, so you don't need to see the video of the viewer

why not drag all your clips to a "Work" sequence, and filter away in there?

nick

April 13, 2006 09:30PM
hmmm... i dont think im fully following your point.

no, im not adding filters in the browser. to my knowledge thats not even possible?

from what im seeing, whenever you have the filters tab from a clip opened in the viewer, double clicking another timeline clip seems to auto switch back to the video tab...???

the easy answer is to move the viewer to my second monitor and open it to the height of the screen. but i still have to retoggle the filters tab each time i open a new clip (which is what im doing) but thats kind of a pain in the ass AND that makes the video play in the center of this tall-ass window with timecode in this tiny window 4 inches above the clip and controlls 4 inches below it, and to me that just looks extremely horsey...

i know my question is whiney but this is just a bad UI approach from an intuitive workflow standpoint. how hard would it be to implement a dedicated filters window that displayed the filters applied to the current selected clip???? sounds kind of fundamental to me...
April 13, 2006 09:37PM
You shouldn't have to open the filters tab every time - if you have the filters tab selected and you double click something else on the timeline, it should open the clip with it's filter tab on top. As long as it's still attatched to the viewer, though, which is a pain. I agree it would be good if it stayed open of it's own violition.

I sometimes dock mine in the timeline too - great for long stretches - but it will close when you select a new clip.
April 13, 2006 09:52PM
from UI standpints, apple could take a few hints from adobe!
April 13, 2006 11:41PM
yeah, i see what you mean.

but remember FCP is primarily an editing app which also has compositing features.
(& no way would you ever consider those features to be as good as AE, for instance.)

if you separate the 2 functions, and edit to completion, then Colour Correct, say,
there are ways to make the workflow smooth, which i;m sure you;re aware of.

one thing that would make this all a lot easier would be if there was a shortcut for switching tabs in open windows.

cheers,
nick

April 14, 2006 12:22AM
see - i knew someone would feel my pain (thanks nick)

if there is going to be a feature - it needs to be implemented well - PERIOD. especially in a "pro app"

i know im a broken record here - but given that im by trade a graphic designer with TOO MUCH gestalt psychology background for my own good, it really hacks me off, when a primary UI function like this in a pro app is totally overlooked...

from my point of view FCP's interface was a totally hackneyed design from the get go, hasnt changed since then and is WAY the hell overdue for a totall facelift...!

and not just in a fruity-ass 3D way the way after effect's had...
Re: CONTROL TAB (was FILTERS TAB)
April 14, 2006 05:55AM
OK, how about this:

i'm keyframing some parameters in the basic text generator
(no lectures about that, please)
every time i open a text in the viewer from the timeline,
my view goes WAY out again,
and i have to zoom in 4 times to get to my desired key-frame.

every - single - time.

anyone get this/get around this?

----------------------

ok, i see the view is the total 2 min duration of the gnerator
it should remember the previous state.

nick

April 14, 2006 06:47AM
Wayne

I think FCP will do what you want as long as you don't drag the Filters tab out of the Viewer window. Try this:

Set the Playhead Sync to "Open" from the middle popup menu at the top of the Canvas. Depending on how the Auto Select buttons are set, you will get the source clip open up automatically in the Viewer. Now switch to the Filters tab and you'll see as you move to different clips in the timeline that the Filters tab automatically updates to show what is applied to the current clip.

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.k
April 14, 2006 06:59AM
here's an idea:

you drag a window out, like the FX tab,
then you PIN it to spot.

at the moment you can preserve the state by saving a window layout.
wouldn't it be good if you could also pin by say,
holding down CNTOL as let go.

ping!

window sticks.
(+ view size stays fixed, as per other post!)

-------------------------------------

(athough Martins suggestions are a lot more sensible!)

nick

April 14, 2006 04:05PM
Martin pretty much nailed it. I don't think there's a way to bring up separate clip Vewer "kits" from the Timeline-- only from the Browser. Besides, that's a lot of clutter. Using Vewer or Canvas Open gives Wayne the constant-update feature he needs. Elegant!

While we're on the subject of Viewer window manipulation, I have been waiting patiently for a magic POP-OUT command which reveals the clip's Time Graph for Filter, Motion, Controls, whatever-- with the active clip filling it to screen width and centered, ready for keyframing. Same command toggles it closed. Dragging that mouse corner target is gettng awfully stale.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
April 14, 2006 06:11PM
i'm keyframing some parameters in the basic text generator
(no lectures about that, please)
every time i open a text in the viewer from the timeline,
my view goes WAY out again,
and i have to zoom in 4 times to get to my desired key-frame.

every - single - time.

anyone get this/get around this?

I agree Nick.
The only way I get around that is do a Shift + Z in the filters tab. That will fit the keyframes to window. This works great if you have a large monitor. Not so great if you are on a PowerBook.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
April 14, 2006 07:06PM
Loren:
"Using Vewer or Canvas Open gives Wayne the constant-update feature he needs. Elegant!"

except you have to manually switch between viewing the video tab, or the FX tab.
(anyone for Control Tab?)

Kevin:
"do a Shift + Z in the filters tab"

that's brilliant!...
but hang on..
no sad smiley
doesn't work in the controls tab.
damn! fit to window would have been perfect for me.

i;ve got "zoom to 800%" mapped to the asterisk or star key on the numbers pad, (i use it in the timeline)
but in the controls tab that zooms not to playhead, but to the END of the generator.
go figure

thanks

[one thing that would make this all a lot easier would be if there was a shortcut for switching tabs in open windows.]

By now one of my oldest feature requests. There is hope--you can now access separate active wndow tabs in Soundtrack Pro, and it's delightful.

Timegraph Popout with clip centered is also not a new feature request. Dammit.

I left out one zoomer which is handy:

Shift-Option Z fits a timeline selection to your window!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
April 15, 2006 03:54PM
> except you have to manually switch between viewing the video
> tab, or the FX tab.
> (anyone for Control Tab?)

WE WANT TO TOGGLE TABS WITH A KEYBOARD SHORTCUT.

It's one of the few things that forces you to use the mouse.

>
>
> Kevin:
> "do a Shift + Z in the filters tab"
>
> that's brilliant!...
> but hang on..
> no sad smiley
> doesn't work in the controls tab.

??????
Then the Controls Tab is broken. Shift + Z works in every other window of the interface.

> damn! fit to window would have been perfect for me.
>
Hopefully, it will get written up as a bug. Because that IS a bug you've got there.

> i;ve got "zoom to 800%" mapped to the asterisk or star key on
> the numbers pad, (i use it in the timeline)
> but in the controls tab that zooms not to playhead, but to the
> END of the generator.
> go figure

Yep. You've nailed the goofiness of this bug. Zooming is not behaving predictably in this window.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
[WE WANT TO TOGGLE TABS WITH A KEYBOARD SHORTCUT.]

Yes, we do, Kevin. Welcome to the party. See if you can twist some arms there. I'll do what I can at NAB.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics