Audio help please!

Posted by crash41 
Audio help please!
April 13, 2006 10:39PM

We're finishing up a short and we have one scene in particular which we CANNOT figure out how to reduce the hum of an A/C unit which we had no control over. For various reasons, we cannot reshoot, and we cannot do ADR. But... we hope there is a way to reduce this hum in either Sountrack or FCP directly.

The bottom line is that we've sunk way too many $$$ into this already and we'd like to avoid people telling us that there is some other software which will help us.

So... is there anyone who has some idea how to fix this hum in Soundtrack Pro or FCP. Any help would be much appreciated. A clip of the scene is linked below. We've exported this at the highest audio quality to give you the clearest sound possible... and you'll notice the hum immediately.

Thanks in advance.

[www.sombreropictures.com]
Re: Audio help please!
April 13, 2006 10:43PM
soundtrack pro has a noiseprint feature which is just about the most useful feature ive ever seen...

keep in mind though, you are also going to reduce the quality of your desired frequency as well...
April 13, 2006 10:45PM
Soundtrack Pro should be able to help. You've gpt some nice clean background without dialogue in it, which will help.

Here's a quick tour

[www.apple.com]
April 13, 2006 10:52PM
here i just gave it a quick going over in STPRO.
didnt change the world - but its a start

[understandinc.com]
April 14, 2006 11:41AM
Are you shopping for the headphones you're going to use--or recommend--on the next shoot?

There's no shortage of long threads about micrphones, but I don't recall any discussions about headphones. Most important.

"Wait, Cut." "I can hear a MetroBus behind the dialog."

OpenAir and EarBuds need not apply. You need the big gushy pads that take you out of the environment.

Koz

April 14, 2006 03:15PM
i keep a set of Sony MDR7506 headphones in my cable bag - best $99 you can spend
April 14, 2006 04:46PM
To contribute to thread crawl:

Do you actually like listening to them, or are they competent, supply isolation and so do the job? I went through a bunch of headphones a while ago looking for good ones to listen to movies on the Powerbook. A lot of them I couldn't stand to listen to for a long time. This makes it a pain to buy because I won't know for an hour or so.

I found a number of units in the store that worked OK, but on a whim, I went back to the boxes in the garage and dug out my Sennheiser HD414s. Sennheiser will cheerfully sell you repair parts for this headphone and I bought a new cable and ear cushions. They work perfectly and I can listen to a whole movie with no trouble.

I went into The Internet and discovered that Sennheiser *re-issued* the 414 in a *New* and *Improved* version with all new drivers. They look like the originals.......

Testing proved that the New and Improved versions didn't sound as nice as the old ones did and that was confirmed by measurements. The new ones have peaks around 3K and 4K which is where your ear feels pain.

To cast our minds back, the originals were Sennheiser microphone elements bolted into a plastic case which the company didn't think were going to amount to a hill of beans. The resulting headset went into history as the first one of its kind, it sounded wonderful, and all of us doing audio at the time bought a pair.

The New one is designed from the ground up to provide good ad copy and "sound loud." It does both of those things.

Just not for me.

Koz

April 17, 2006 03:22AM
yeah, id say for the money they do a pretty good job of both cutting out external noise and giving me a reasonable freq range. now im no bit head when it comes to audio, so i cant give a bunch of xyz db at abc Khz appraisal, but they have yet to fail me for watching target levels (or hearing mic anomalies) and they are decently comfy over long periods of wear.

they are fairly big and puffy so one may get a bit of sweaty head on a warmer day.

all in all, a reasonably safe bet for $99
April 17, 2006 04:13PM
Wayne - did you simply do the noiseprint effect with that clip? Definitely sounded better.

Thanks
April 17, 2006 04:24PM
yeah, in listening back to it, i was pretty impressed with the result. not bad for a bundled application...

just sampled a section of ac sound, did the noise print and processed it at something like 60%.

and if i recall, i also added a small bit of EQ as well. but thats subjective
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics