What's the best html editor to stream a QT movie on a web page?

Posted by filmman 
What's the best html editor to stream a QT movie on a web page?
April 24, 2006 03:48PM
Okay, so I know all these fancy ways to create a .mov file for display on my web pages, but what's a versatile html editor that can incorporate the .mov into the html? I'm mainly interested in streaming .mov files.
Re: What's the best html editor to stream a QT movie on a web page?
April 24, 2006 03:53PM
The trailer is at [www.liv.net]

When I go to this page, a window opens up and says that "the plugin performed an illegal operation." The plugin is QT 7.04

Here's the code for the page: (is there something wrong with my code?)

<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>Star Quest Trailer</title>
</head>

<body bgcolor="#000000" text="#EBEBEB" link="#00FFFF" vlink="#00FFFF" alink="#00FFFF">
<h1 align="center">STAR QUEST TRAILER</h1>
<center>
<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B"
codebase="[www.apple.com]; height="316"
width="400">
<param name="cache" value="true">
<param name="src" value="/movies/STARQUEST-TRAILER.mov">

<param name="autoplay" value="true">
<param name="controller" value="true">
<embed height="316"
pluginspage="[www.apple.com];
src="[www.liv.net];
type="video/quicktime" width="400" controller="true" autoplay="true" cache="true">
</embed>
</object>
</center>
<p align="center"><a href="/">Index</a> | <a href="mailto:liv@liv.net">E-Mail</a></p>
</body>

</html>
April 24, 2006 04:30PM
Dude,

Not sure what you mean by incorporating steaming files into your html (?)

If you want to stream your QT files instead of making them available as progressive downloads, then you need Quicktime Streaming Server configured on your web server. The software is available in the Mac OSX server software or else you need to see if your web host has that option available.

In any case, it's not a matter of having the right html editor as much as writing the right code to embed the QT player in your web page, and there are many other forums and resources on the web that you should research. But as this is a video editing and production forum I'm not sure how many people in here are html saavy enough to help you.

BTW, the trailer played fine on my Mac with no error messages.
April 24, 2006 05:18PM
Hi.
Try Rapidweaver.
www.realmacsoftware.com
Its very simply to use and you can have a lot of options.
Check my website, its in Portuguese and under construction so you will have to choose the link named "Galeria".
You will need Quicktime 7 to watch the movies.

[ruibarrosonline.planetaclix.pt]

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
April 24, 2006 11:43PM
Ken Stone has a great article on iWeb, that looks to do a better job, with more controls than RapidWeaver.

Cameron Young
April 25, 2006 02:31AM
hell, you can place a video on an html page with a text editor. you dont need a special application to make it happen.

i say go get and learn macromedia dreamweaver, its not hard to build pretty robust stuff with it with about 2 hours of study.

it all kind of depends on what it is that youre wanting to achieve... cool factor? movie size? audience volume, etc, etc, etc...
April 25, 2006 09:26AM
Try Softpress Freeway or even Freeway Express.

It's as easy as drag 'n drop and way more powerful than iWeb.

[softpress.com]

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
April 26, 2006 04:43AM
Thank you for the examples. What about iLife and iWeb ? Do they provide a way out ? There doesn't seem to be a great way to put up .mov files on the Internet at the present time. So far I like Flash the best, but I don't have the software to use it yet. I looked over the tutorials; it's harder than learning Photoshop.
April 26, 2006 08:14AM
>There doesn't seem to be a great way to put up .mov files on the Internet at the present time.

I have no idea what you mean by that. There are MANY great ways to put mov files up on the internet. iWeb works fine for mov (not for other formats). Freeway Express is EASY. There are places that can host your file with a simple FTP upload, no embed code needed.

>So far I like Flash the best, but I don't have the software to use it yet. I looked over the tutorials; it's harder than learning Photoshop.

I find a good mov (depends which codec) or wmv encode will look better than Flash unless one can my the On2 VP6 codec for Flash. Flash encoding and simple SWF embed is not much more difficult than any other. Flash will play right in the web browser. Building a cute Flash interface is a whole 'nother art form.

Flash design and Flash encode are two different (though related things). You can encode Flash with Squeeze or Cleaner 6.5. There's also cheaper Flash only encoders out there.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics