Quicktime FCP5 audio mystery?

Posted by Televisionworks 
Quicktime FCP5 audio mystery?
May 01, 2006 05:55PM
I have couple of Quicktime clips that a client gave me, when I play them at the desktop they play fine video and audio... When I drag them into FCP5 I can only see the video OK but no audio track.
I guess the audio is inbeded into the video? If so how do I create an audio track for FCP?
Thanks in advance
Daniel
www.televisionworks.net

Televisionworks
Re: Quicktime FCP5 audio mystery?
May 01, 2006 06:06PM
Are you saying that there are no clips in the audio tracks or just that you just don't see any waveforms in the audio tracks? If the latter is the case,
then Cmd OPT W wiil bring up the waveforms.

Dave
May 01, 2006 06:09PM
DD
I do not have ANY audio present on the timeline, I can see the video fine but NO audio tracks(visually green) and NO audio at all.
But when you playback the QT clip on the desktop it plays video and audio fine.
Daniel

Televisionworks
May 01, 2006 06:12PM
Can you see audio tracks 1 & 2, but the tracks are empty or are audio 1 & 2 invisable in the timeline?

Dave
May 01, 2006 06:20PM
I'd suggest you doubble click on the clip in the timeline to bring it up in the viewer & check to see if the audio taps are present at the top of the viewer window.

If no audio tabs then check your capture settings to make sure not set to video only.

All the best.
Dave
May 01, 2006 06:38PM
While the clips are open in QuickTime Player, press Apple-I (info) and make it tell you what you actually have.

It sounds like you have, possibly MPEG 2 with embedded audio. The clip will need to be stripped apart with, for example, "MPEG Streamclip" before you can import into Final Cut.

Koz

May 01, 2006 06:52PM
Hi Dave & Kozy,
Thank you for your help... i think Koz is closer to the trouble since the video provided to me is possibly shot with an older camera... I have loaded in the past QT with no problems so the video and audio are together in this clip.
Answering Dave NO I can't see any video tracks present NONE and when the playhead is over the clip it only plays video only.
Now, Koz how do I strip the audio from the video in the desktop?
Is "MPEG Streamclip" a program in OS X?
Thanks to both of you for helping me!
Daniel
www.televisionworks.net

Televisionworks
May 01, 2006 07:17PM
First, you need QuickTime Pro and not the regular one. You can tell because Pro has export options and the regular one doesn't. If it isn't the good one, spend the upgrade bux to get it. (I think it should have come with your FCP license.)

MPEG Streamclip is available as a free download from the Apple website. It's a translation utility between most, but not all, of the MPEG variations (1, 2, 4).

You *need* to do the Apple-I thing to figure out what you actually have. If it's not an MPEG variation, then we could be wandering off into the woods.

Koz

May 01, 2006 07:40PM
Open the clip in QuickTime Player and press APPLE-J. Click and hold under "Movie". Chances are you'll see "Muxed Track". This means the audio is "muxed" (multiplexed) and must be converted using MPEG Streamclip. However, Squared 5's website seems to be down, and it's been pointed out about two weeks ago that the usual links to the MPEG Streamclip download are no longer functional.
May 01, 2006 08:18PM
Yeap is MUXED! it indicates it's MPEG-1 ... Is there another resource to DE-MUX DA CLIP?
I could resync the clip in FCP if I could get the audio out of the clip somehow...
Any ideas before I plug a mic next to the speaker?
Thanks
Dan

Televisionworks
May 01, 2006 08:26PM
Try using compressor Dan.

All the best
Dave
May 01, 2006 08:53PM
You can get Mpegstreamclip here for free [www.squared5.com]

The site seems very slow today though.
Hold it, hold it-- you're sure you have both Video and Audio PATCHED when you cut nto the timeline? Even if you have to render it, you should get everything you saw and heard in Player.That's weird.

Double check your Tmeline patch panel!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
May 03, 2006 01:48AM
> old it, hold it-- you're sure you have both Video and Audio PATCHED when
> you cut nto the timeline? Even if you have to render it, you should get
> everything you saw and heard in Player. That's weird.

A movie file's muxed audio will show up as a blank audio clip in the Viewer. QuickTime Player can play muxed audio, but Final Cut Pro can't access it for editing.
May 03, 2006 02:05AM
Yes, the file has been recorded with audio imbeded or "muxed" in the video track I belive is MPEG-1. At the desktop it plays fine video and audio . Once exported to FCP5 all I see is video without any audio and without audio track visual representation.(NO GREEN)
This sucks! Since I have to figure out how to unstrip the audio out of the video track and I got here some suggestions already.
Hopefully some day FCP6 may have an option in the audio track call De-Mux????
In the meantime deal with the sucker the best possible way...

Thank you all for all your responses.

BTW: I suspect that the camera used on the clip came from Europe and is possibly an old model.

Daniel

www.televisionworks.net

Televisionworks
[A movie file's muxed audio will show up as a blank audio clip in the Viewer. QuickTime Player can play muxed audio, but Final Cut Pro can't access it for editi]

I guess that makes sense. I wonder if you could extract the components with something like Cinematize? Works great on MPEG-2, exports to any QuickTime codec. Don;t have any MPEG-1 around to test.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
May 03, 2006 03:11PM
> I wonder if you could extract the components with something like
> Cinematize?

I don't know Cinematize, but MPEG Streamclip definitely does it. If we can find a workable download link, that is!
I found a VCD disk which I believe is MPEG-1, and tried drgaging it into Cinematize. No dice.

Cinematize does one thing and well: DVD to other video formats, depending on the codecs available on your system.

MPEG Streamclip downloads fine from the Apple site link:

[www.apple.com]

Great tip, Derek!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics