"Shimmering" pixels with TIFF files w/"Ken Burns" effect

Posted by JozsefS 
"Shimmering" pixels with TIFF files w/"Ken Burns" effect
May 03, 2006 06:57PM
Are there existing plug-ins/filters which can take the "shimmer" out of pixels when I apply motion to TIFF stills imported into FCP? I have tried de-interlace filter with only limited success.

Anything better on the market???
Re: "Shimmering" pixels with TIFF files w/"Ken Burns" effect
May 03, 2006 07:05PM
Hey! I do a lot of this stuff, try this:
Select the clip (picture) you want, go to the effects and apply Gaussian Blurr on the picture.
It will probably default to the value of "2". Change the value to 0.66 or any value under "1" (usually for me I use from 0.25 to 0.75)(you have to type tis values since the range goes: 1,2,3,4,5,6.... you want zero point something.
This mild blurr will smooth your picture and all the jaggy, specs and "high definition" from a 300 dpi scan will dissapear.
Let me know if it work...
Good Luck!

Daniel Postan
www.televisionworks.net

Televisionworks
Re: "Shimmering" pixels with TIFF files w/"Ken Burns" effect
May 04, 2006 12:04PM
De-interlace won't accomplish anything on images from a still camera because they were never interlaced in the first place (as a freeze frame from video would be). Sometimes the "Flicker" filter will help your problem.

Daniel's advice is good but it can be render intensive. What I've found to be very effictive is to use the "deflickerator" action in Photoshop on the images before bringing them into FCP. It applies some blur and a little offset in the image to reduce the shimmer in images that have fine detail.

The Deflickerator is free and available from several sources, just Google it. After downloading, just double-click it and it will install itself into PS. This assumes you have Photoshop, of course.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics